Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frd333do33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
SoCal
Hi all,
I jailbroke my iphone and currently don't know if it's an issue because I jailbroke or not.

When I go to Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> International Keyboards and then add Russian, and then add Russian-Phonetic under the Russian option, the keyboard still shows up as standard Russian layout when I type messages.

Are you guys getting the same thing?

I sent feedback to http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html just incase. If you experience it too, send feedback too!

When I use the apple bluetooth keyboard, the phonetic layout works fine. It just doesn't work on the on-screen keyboard, which I use most of the time when I want to send a message in Russian.

RulerK

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
There is no phonetic keyboard on iPhone (yet)

The iPhone unfortunately never has supported an onscreen phonetic keyboard. I have no idea why. When you choose the russian keyboard, you have two choices between regular and phonetic, those only apply to external keyboards. I await the fine day when they finally include a phonetic keyboard or allow us to add our own (previous IOS versions allowed this if jailbroken, but unfortunately, IOS 4 does not).

I hope this helps.

gwyner

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
True, they've probably moved on. Still, this thread is one of the first ones to show up on Google when I was looking for a solution to the same problem, so I imagine others will end up here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.