Russian Sankt Petersberg is now located in Florida

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by alex00100, Feb 14, 2013.

1. alex00100, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

alex00100 macrumors regular

The bug is that its written in russian the same way as the ruusian city while its really spelled differently. :D Just find it funny. Also, what's Hollywoods doing there?

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Umm, there is a Saint Petersburg there. And Hollywood is near Fort Lauderdale.

It's not a bug.

You may be disappointed to learn there is a Moscow in Ohio, Idaho, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and Texas.

3. alex00100 thread starter macrumors regular

I get it now. I edited the post. Confused them due to the translation in Russia. It's not sankt, it's saint. Google spells that right. Apple doesn't.
    Meh, just forget it.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

5. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

I am more curious about these letters next to the time on your iPad^^
    I am quite familiar with incorrect data on Apple Maps.
    But that time is sooo long, imagine that on your iPhone, it'd simply take the whole status bar :eek:

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Probably something that's just present on the iPad, and maybe even only in landscape mode too. That said, typically for most of the world outside of US time is represented in 24-hour (military) form, so seeing it like that there is somewhat unusual in itself.

7. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

The time in Russian is represented as 24-hour time, but in addition to not showing a.m. or p.m., the Russian language includes the part of the day (morning, aftnoon, etc) which is what that extra bit is.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

As far as the wording that is there referring to the part of the day (before or after noon), that is correct, what I was trying to say that typically in locales outside of US time is represented in a 24 hour format, which removes the necessity of displaying what part of the day it represents (e.g., 10:00 would be 10 in the morning, while 22:00 would be 10 in the evening).

9. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

OK, then I suppose we're both making the same point. :)

10. alex00100 thread starter macrumors regular

That's right. It's before noon and after noon. I just can't understand 24-hour format as its only used on electronics and we don't use it live, we say in the morning/in the evening.
    And it's same on iPhone. Yes it does take almost the whole user bar, but there is no way to place am/pm instead of this so... I need understandable time more then all the icons like 3G or E, battery percentage and the rest. But I can always lock the phone and see the icons couse as you know, time is not show on the status bar when it's locked as its located a bit below.