Russian SIM card with Data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by likegadgets, Apr 10, 2011.

1. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I hope this is the right section to post this. I have searched the forums and the NET for an answer, but cannot find it as of yet.

I will be traveling to Moscow and St. Petersburg - will be there for 8 days. I have a factory unlocked iPhone and I want to know what SIM (if any) I should purchase that would work best in both cities. I will use it to receive international calls, make international and local calls, and hopefully have DATA to check email or an occasional browsing session.

I want our guide to pre-purchase the SIM card so I have the number before departure. The guide has no idea what to buy that will give me Data.

Your suggestions are very welcomed.

Thanks

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I would say the SIM for pretty much any Russian smartphone should do. Now, as for which providers service both Moscow and St. Petersburg, your guide should know or at least find out for you.

Good luck!

3. oflancaster macrumors newbie

The main providers are Beeline (Билайн) MTS (МТС) and Megafon. The problem you will have is that Russian Simcards are issued by region, and so one you bought in St Petersburg would be more expensive to use in Moscow, and vice versa. Smartphones are becoming more and more popular here so your guide really should know what to do...! If you have the iphone 4, obv u will need the microsim, so just tell your guide to buy an iphone 4 sim with internet? The shopkeeper will know what's going on.

4. likegadgets thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

Assuming the SIM itself is not that costly, I assume I could buy a prepaid one for each city. Again, thanks for your insights

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    you might want to take a ruler, scissors and microsim template print-out
    some countries really do not have many microsims and demand a premium for them

6. likegadgets thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a puncher/cutter - good idea I will take it along