Russian site claims iphone spyware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Salty Pirate, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

russian- take with grain of salt

Wednesday, July 18, 2007
    iPhone has a built-in spyware module?
    Today an underground hacker team "web-Hack" from Russia released a whitepaper with results of iPhone firmware research. They reverse- engineered some functions and published this information. Results of a research shocked community. Russian hackers found a built-in function which sends all data from an iPhone to a specified web-server. Contacts from a phonebook, SMS, recent calls, history of Safari browser - all your personal information can be stolen.
    At present there is no additional information about this issue. Researches assume that this function either a debug feature or a built-in backdoor module for some governmental structures. Anyways this function can be used by a trojan-developers or activated by the AT&T.
    We will monitor all information about this accident and will publish it immediately.

http://vsiphone.blogspot.com/2007/07/iphone-has-built-in-spyware-module.html

2. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Too much paranoia. If anyone is listening in on me, there going to be pretty bored.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Good thing my RAZR isn't transmitting all the naughty things I say to my girlfriend. :eek:

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

It's no more vulnerable than any other phone.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

They might need to start selling iPhones with little tin-foil hats soon...

6. chuckzee macrumors member

7. uscmatt macrumors member

Don't worry, if you buy the Apple bluetooth it locks the backdoor. Problem solved. I'd keep the tin-foil hat on just for assurance though.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

BlackBerrys on BES have that too. They call it "wireless backup". :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like that with .Mac some day...

9. uscmatt macrumors member

Dammit!! Now they know I'm going to Charleston tomorrow for a wedding!

10. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

uscmatt??!?!

You'd think Matt Leinart could afford a whole 8 gig iPhone ;)

I guess that's what happens when you slip that far in the draft :D:D:D

11. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Charleston where? SC? It is supposed to rain tomorrow. Thundering now.

- James

12. patrickq macrumors member

Amazing how glib some people are about this news, if it is true then it's nothing about being paranoid. A little bit of style and the Mac fanatics will gobble up anything Jobs throws their way, I'd suggest a little bit of discrimination would be a good idea. Not all Apple products are great and Apple is a large Corporation that barely gives a stuff about the end users, as many have discovered.
    I wouldn't go anywhere near an iPhone, if it has been loaded with Spyware, why buy from a company that treats a buyer in that way ... the suggestion of using bluetooth is risible, give your money to a company that is attempting to steal information from you ... come on!!!

13. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Calm down, you might want to worry more about the government that's already recording all your phone calls.. :rolleyes:

14. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

Even if this is true about spyware being on the iphone we are safe. AT&T's edge network is slow enough to not allow anyone to get any information within a reasonable time. :D

15. chuckzee macrumors member

it is not only about the phone calls.

Why would I want the NSA to have information about what sites I surf, what music I listen to, what pictures I take, etc? It is none of Apples, AT&T, Or the Governments business. If true, I for one will never buy one, nor trust Apple with my personal information ever again.

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

17. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Don't be so naive, what makes you think every ISP doesn't keep track information of what the user is browsing? As much as you want, you can't keep corporations out of your business - period. And if you're really not doing anything out of the ordinary, then they don't give a hoot. It's not like the NSA is going to come after you if you took a picture of your pet cat.

Btw, there's a great solution for keeping snoops out of your life.. move to an island, use film cameras.. old school analog style :p

18. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Because saving that data is a big pain in the arse. The reality is without the changes to federal law most ISPs don't keep that data for very long. It is of little value to them and expensive to manage and warehouse.

19. chuckzee macrumors member

not when i'm at the public library

20. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

OH thank you for our war on terror, with out which non of this would be tolerated......

21. organik macrumors member

Yes, this would not be surprising from AT&T, would be a bit from Apple. Not surprised our unelected corporate criminal administration and "president" would spy on us. Check out my Election Fraud Blog for more info.

Oh wait, this site isn't about "the man" keeping us down.....it's about Macs!

I love my Mac and my iPhone. I love my country but hate my (current) government.

22. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Coming from a anti iPhone website quoting Russian hackers and no prove to back up their claims.

Don't you all think if this was true all those hackers that are working on unlocking the iPhone would have stumbled upon that?
    This is just some more FUD to give the iPhone a bad name.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its so cute how some people think that the phone has to have spyware for the gubment to listen in.

24. pr5owner macrumors 65816

20KB/s is more than enough to steal all your text based stuff (personal info, emails, etc)

i would monitor your data upload totals very closely, maybe thats why they gave the iphone unlimited data plans?