russian sub in danger!

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Russian mini sub crew stuck in 600+ feet water, prop entangled in fishing nets. Crew had 22 hours of O2 earlier in the day, US, UK, and Japanese in race to help!

Please say a prayer for the brave men in that sub, and the brave men and women off to their rescue.

Link

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The ghost of the Kursk...

At least this time they contacted the US and Japan almost immediately for help...still, the Navy will have to fly a submersible out in a C-5 or C-17, which will probaly take 10 hours or so at minimum (loading, flight, unloading). By the time they get it in the water they will probably only have enough time for a single dive before the air runs out.

The Super Scorpio ROV that the US is sending may be able to free the sub from the nets with it's powerful arms, attach a cable to lift the sub, or perhaps deliver an additional oxygen supply as rescue efforts continue.

But they better hurry...

Comment

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
gwuMACaddict said:
at least the Russians asked for help this time... good to see that they are learning from the Kursk disaster
Indeed, and given the efforts the government has been making to stoke national pride over there I'm kind of surprised. I'm glad they realized there's no pride in condemning their sailors to death if it can be helped.

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
gwuMACaddict said:
at least the Russians asked for help this time... good to see that they are learning from the Kursk disaster
I was thinking the same thing. One good thing is that there aren't as many people involved this time - and its actually a rescue sub itself thats stuck.

I just hope the ROV that the Navy is sending down is going to be able to do the job. From what I've read lately, all the trawling nets and cables littering the ocean floors have become more and more a problem all over the world.

D

Comment

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I use to hunt these guys, they are a brave bunch to get into some of the hardware the Russian Govt gave them to use. I flew over a couple of subs in the late 80's that were in distress, and would pray for the deliverance of my enemy, that they would be safe.

For many here, it is not just the Kursk, but a horde of these. The US has a an incident or 3 as well. These are not just a brave bunch, but often the brightest as well. The hardest program to enter, would probably be a tie between NASA astronaut and the US Navy as a Nuke Sub Captain.

Comment

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
stubeeef said:
I use to hunt these guys, they are a brave bunch to get into some of the hardware the Russian Govt gave them to use. I flew over a couple of subs in the late 80's that were in distress, and would pray for the deliverance of my enemy, that they would be safe.
Did you fly ASW? I'm assuming you were a P-3 pilot?

Fascinating. I always wanted to fly, but my family flat out refused to let me join the military to become a pilot, and since then I've turned to my other life's ambition...archeology.

I work with a guy who used to be crew on a boomer....he always told us that getting on a sub was pretty tough, it was a select bunch of guys with above-average techical skills and mental toughness.

I'm not sure what they plan to do to free the sub, but I hope it succeeds. Another disaster of this type would be a huge blow to the Russian Navy.

Comment

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I was a cold war mission commander and aircraft commander on a P-3 orion. Then I was a post coldwar mission commander and aircraft commander on the EP-3E, for the same sqaudron that ended up in China 4 or so years ago.

I work with some Nuke 'bubbleheads" and we poke fun at each other, but their IQ's have to me a multiple of mine. Scary sometimes.

Comment

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
This looks bad

A US C5 carrying an ROV is expected to leave San Diego in an hour, according to USA Today. But after landing in Russia it will have to be trucked to a ship and taken to the site. A British submersible is apparently already en route and will be first on the scene, at the site ready to dive around 5am tomorrow...right about the time the crew of the stranded vessel are estimated to run out of air...

I'm afraid that all they'll be able to do by then is bring up a coffin, unless the Russians get lucky and dislodge the craft by dragging nets (which they are attempting to do now).

Hopefully they underestimated the amount of time the crew can survive down there. There's also the question of how quickly the sub can be freed once the ROVs get to work.

fingers crossed, but things look bad.

Comment

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
this must be awful for them. i was purposefully not counting the hours so that i would not find out how dim the situation was. 1 of 7 hyperventalting could make the situation just plain bad.

is there a point you take yourself out to help the others? how awful to say that outloud.

Comment

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Lord Blackadder said:
Breaking News:

BBC's ticker just announced that a tow line was successfully attached to the sub...
YES!

Comment

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Lord Blackadder said:
Breaking News:

BBC's ticker just announced that a tow line was successfully attached to the sub...
I've been following it on BBC News 24, and the reporter has basically suggested that at the moment they cannot be sure of this (even though it's come from the Russian Pacific Commander) because the Russians have a habit of "lying" (his words, not mine) in such circumstances, and gave the Russian Atlantic Commanders statement at the time of the Kursk incident that everything was fine as an example.

Hopefully though, what's being reported is accurate.

Comment

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
iGav said:
I've been following it on BBC News 24, and the reporter has basically suggested that at the moment they cannot be sure of this (even though it's come from the Russian Pacific Commander) because the Russians have a habit of "lying" (his words, not mine) in such circumstances, and gave the Russian Atlantic Commanders statement at the time of the Kursk incident that everything was fine as an example.

Hopefully though, what's being reported is accurate.
I've read the same thing...it seems certain that they HAVE sent down a Russian submersible that HAS made contact with the stricken sub (though not necessarily its crew) and is at least TRYING to tow it. Maybe it is working, maybe it isn't, nothing definite beyond that at the moment.

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My prayers are with the sailors aboard the AS-28 mini-submarine. Hope that the rescue will be successful. It's a sign of increase cooperation. I pray that the Scorpio can arrive in time and have a successful mission.

Comment

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Awesome! I'm sure there are seven families that are very happy the Russian gov't asked for help immediately, this time around.

Comment

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
That is really good news.

Its nice to see coutries working together.

I never knew the word "ensnarled" was a word until now!

Comment

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I have been following this via internet, on vacation, limited non-cable tv. But I feel like the time the coal miners were rescued in W Va a few years back!
Good Job to everyone!
This is the kind of thing that pumps me up, what a great Sunday Treat.

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Dont Hurt Me said:
Imagine what the world could do if it stopped making wars and building weapons. I have Dream!
oh i know what you mean, reminds me of Lennon's song Imagine too, that would be an amazing state of being to live in, but what can you do right?

Comment