Russian submarine clock question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bobdude161, May 12, 2009.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I found this clock at a yard sale for $2.50 and I had some questions about it. First of all, what does it say on the face of the clock? Also the second hand wasn't moving but it ended up being stuck behind the minute hand it's ticking away. Now I'm just wondering where it's power comes from. Is it battery or wind up, nuclear ;) ? The knob above the anchor doesn't move, although it could be stuck. This thing weighs several pounds, it's ridiculous.

Attached Files:

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

That would make nice pocket watch!

Also, I don't think you'd ever have to worry about it getting stolen by a pickpocket... they'd probably break their wrist in the attempt, but that would make for a rather awkward moment at the same time. :)

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

its wind up, last about 8 days on one w

is looks like a real 5CHM not the modern knock offs.

the bottom says 'made in ussr' I think :p

4. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

"Made in Russia" actually

USSR would be "CCCP"

5. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

BTW, the text in the upper part translates as "Red October".

6. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Wirelessly posted (Sausage: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

lol if it says Red October, it couldn't be real since that's a fictional submarine, right?

7. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

It's not real found this on eBay. Worth $499, tho' that appears to be with the box and key. Good find tho'!

8. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

I did a bit of googling, and the clock might indeed be an authentic "fake" Red October ship clock; here is a link to the company pages. Of course, it could also be a fake "fake" clock with some cheap Asian clockworks inside and worth only a few dollars. Anyway, you probably need to find a suitable key for winding up the spring.

9. Tudy macrumors newbie

Looks pretty close to mine!!

Received this clock from a friend and decided to Google and see what I could find. Just thought I'd share my pics for your clock is the closest in style that I have found yet!

Enjoy!

Well now, my uploaded pics did not attach- I'll try again.

Attached Files: