Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VillasManzanill

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for all the feedback!
After some careful fiddling, I can confirm that, for my machine, the GPU does not fit correctly into slot 1 because the processor cage is in the way.

My machine is 'mid-2012', single processor, MacPro 5.1 (Model A1289 / EMC2629)
The graphics card is Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8G GDDR5 with PN 299-1E387-000SA and SKU# 11265-05-20G (that's what it says on the box). Bought brand new.

I initially posted pics (above) of the GPU inserted in the PCIe slot at a steep angle. A number of people asked if I was sure that the GPU connecters weren't in fact underneath the PCIe slot, thus causing the alarming angle. I tried with the machine lying both vertically and horizontally, and carefully laying the GPU flat on the top of the processor cage, and visually confirmed, by looking through the empty slots above, that the GPU connectors were butting against the top edge of PCIe slot. See pic below.

View attachment 829602

I confirmed that all the PCIe slots lined up correctly with the 'box/chassis' by trying different combinations of covers and PCIe devices. Everything seemed to line up correctly.
So then I pulled the processor cage out of the machine completely.
With the processor cage out, I then inserted the GPU into slot 1...and everything fitted perfectly. The card was at 90 degrees to logic board and the 'cable connections' part of the GPU fitting perfectly into the slot in the chassis. See pics below

View attachment 829603

View attachment 829604

Once I had the processor cage out I thought that in fact it did not look perfectly 'square' and perhaps had a very slight 'bow', if I lay it on a flat surface there is a couple millimetres rock to it?
Gave everything a clean and put it all back together.
Tried inserting the GPU again and it was certainly improved but still a long way from 100%! See pic below
View attachment 829609

I tried various combinations of removing screws from GPU backplate (side nearest PCie slot, both sides, none, removing springs from screws etc) and the best result (as seen above) was removing 2x 'springed' screws nearest PCie slot.

It requires a bit of force to get GPU 'level' and to line up so that cable connections are fitted to chassis properly and retaining plate screwed in.
This pressure is hinged directly on the GPU connectors which are in slot 1 - this is far from ideal

I booted up and everything appears to be running ok.
As far as I can tell, my options at this point are....
1. continue running with GPU forced into slot 1
2. remove backplate from GPU and fit to slot 1
3. fit GPU to slot 2 and lose access to slot 3

My final thought was to drill holes through the bottom of the processor cage and the chassis/box and insert bolts in an effort to try 'clamp' the processor cage downwards :)

Thanks for all the suggestions much appreciated !

Remove the plastic pad of the cpu cage

JoeStrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2019
South Africa
Thanks for all the effort and updating with those pics. You sure have an unusual situation on your hands. I’m confined to my bed at the moment so I can’t check right now, but judging from the last round of pictures, it looks like your processor cage has an abnormally raised pad in the center. I believe mine is nearly flush. I think this raised portion is the major difference that’s causing your problem. If someone else could confirm that theirs is flush or nearly flush perhaps that would solve the mystery. If that turns out to be the case, perhaps you can either find a method to correct this, or even replace the processor caged. I’m guessing one can be found if you search the internet.

That’s all I’ve got... My 2¢ ....

Good Luck, I hope you get this sorted out...

Thanks for this. Good idea and for a moment I thought you had solved my problem, but in fact I have looked at pics of other peoples CPU cage and I don't actually think mine is abnormally raised. I admit that it looks a bit prominent in a couple of my pics, but I think that's just the angle/light etc. But I do like the idea of modifying it somehow (cut it off!)
[doublepost=1554130459][/doublepost]
Remove the plastic pad of the cpu cage

Thanks for this. Don't think its possible to completely remove it, it extends below the top surface to the interior of CPU cage and has slots which help hold the CPU fans in place. But I will look at shaving it off! :)

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
The PCIe side of the "pad" on the CPU cage looks higher than the side closest to the removable access door. That side looks significantly higher than what I can observe on my 5,1. Mine is not flush, but would say 1mm raised at most. It's less than one standard thermal pad height.

Unsure if this can simply be shaved, removed, or modified. Never had the need previously. Would look to see if you can find a used cage part somewhere first.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for all the effort and updating with those pics. You sure have an unusual situation on your hands. I’m confined to my bed at the moment so I can’t check right now, but judging from the last round of pictures, it looks like your processor cage has an abnormally raised pad in the center. I believe mine is nearly flush. I think this raised portion is the major difference that’s causing your problem. If someone else could confirm that theirs is flush or nearly flush perhaps that would solve the mystery. If that turns out to be the case, perhaps you can either find a method to correct this, or even replace the processor caged. I’m guessing one can be found if you search the internet.

That’s all I’ve got... My 2¢ ....

Good Luck, I hope you get this sorted out...

The plastic pad should be there.

The cage itself made by metal. Without that pad, all factory shipped GPU (without back plate) will have short circuits when the back touching the cage.

I believe his cage is higher than normal.

I own three cMPs, and I can feel that my 2nd cMP's cage is slightly higher than the 1st one. My 7950 Mac Edition card can easily slide into the 1st cMP, but a bit difficult to slide into the 2nd one (it can still get in, but I can feel that it isn't that fit).

So, I won't be too surprise if his cage is even higher than mine, and to a level that can't accommodate this PULSE RX580. Anyway, if already take the cage out, I will try to remove that plastic pad, or "compress" the cage a bit? As long as the backplate is there, that plastic pad has no function at all.

Last edited:

VillasManzanill

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for this. Good idea and for a moment I thought you had solved my problem, but in fact I have looked at pics of other peoples CPU cage and I don't actually think mine is abnormally raised. I admit that it looks a bit prominent in a couple of my pics, but I think that's just the angle/light etc. But I do like the idea of modifying it somehow (cut it off!)
[doublepost=1554130459][/doublepost]

Thanks for this. Don't think its possible to completely remove it, it extends below the top surface to the interior of CPU cage and has slots which help hold the CPU fans in place. But I will look at shaving it off! :)
No problem in removing it. It’s only glued. I removed mine and it works perfect. I have a strix ASUS rog 580 8gb. Absolutely safe. No short circuits as someone mentioned. I been using like that for at least 1 year. Do it.

Reactions: JoeStrummer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.