RX480 & 5K

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by javinv, Aug 20, 2016.

1. javinv macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Thanks to @theitsage's guide on how to modify AMDRadeonX4000.kext, my new RX480 has Metal support and works perfectly on MacOS Sierra latest beta.

I have a Dell 2715K display but it is being recognized as two different displays, one that is what I see in my (real) display at 2K resolution and another one that I cannot see, but that MacOS shows in the alignment displays preference panel as is it was there as a secondary display.

To activate 5K on Nvidia cards, it is necessary to first activate that mode with:

nv_spanmodepolicy=1 nvda_drv=1

I was wondering if something similar would activate it for AMD graphic cards ?

Any idea would be much appreciated !

2. enforcerz macrumors newbie

I also really want to know.
    I plan to buy the new RX480. If RX480 can use with 5K monitor instated of GTX970.

3. Halbertus macrumors newbie

Halbertus

Any updates on this? Will Radeon drivers be compatible with that 5K Dell dual cable monitor?

4. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

Some weeks ago I've helped a Hackintosh user @ tonymacx86 to do some experiments with a 5K hooked up to his R9 280X. We got 5K working (it's the first success on an AMD GPU I know of) with some glitches (don't remember, have a look at his posts for details).

It involved fiddeling with framebuffer personalities and and different SMBIOS profiles, both of which isn't much fun on a genuine Mac.

5. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

6. Halbertus macrumors newbie

Halbertus

Thanks for sharing that information!
    Unfortunately I decided to return my RX480 just yesterday because it would not output 5K by any tweak I used.
    (This is running eGPU via Thunderbolt2) - I replaced it with a GTX980, which works okay in full 5120x2880 - although I am suffering from cursor glitches, that have been reported numerous times and start to get annoying

I would really appreciate if someone running Dell 5K and RX480 could verify and report in more detail!