Ryder Cup 2008

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by scotthayes, Aug 31, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

[​IMG]

Only a few weeks from the Ryder Cup.

Nick Faldo has announced the European cup team.

Padraig Harrington
    Sergio Garcia
    Lee Westwood
    Henrik Stenson
    Robert Karlsson
    Miguel Angel Jimenez
    Graeme McDowell
    Justin Rose
    Soren Hansen
    Oliver Wilson
    Ian Poulter
    Paul Casey​

So you European and American golf fans, what do you think of the European team?

Not sure we will win by 9 points this time but I do think we will win

2. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I've just had a lovely weekend at Gleneagles watching the gowf although I didn't bring my waterproofs so left early rather than hang about to hear from Faldo.

Before I start my rant, here is Scott's (or rather Nick's) list with the number of previous appearances;
    Padraig Harrington (4)
    Sergio Garcia (4)
    Lee Westwood (5)
    Henrik Stenson (1)
    Robert Karlsson (1)
    Miguel Angel Jimenez (2)
    Graeme McDowell (rookie)
    Justin Rose (rookie)
    Soren Hansen (rookie)
    Oliver Wilson (rookie)
    -----------------
    Ian Poulter (1)
    Paul Casey (2)

Darren Clarke (5)
    Colin Montgomerie (8)

The reason for including this was because I thought the team were nicely balanced with good mixture of rookies and experience. I thought the ideal selection would have been a veteran and somebody with less experience but hitting good form. I think Monty in his current form would accept that that he wasn't going to get a wildcard but I'm surprised Darren Clarke isn't on the team. Listening to Faldo's interview, even he couldn't give a reason why he isn't on the team. For the other one I would have went for Poulter or Casey due to their current form on US soil, probably Poulter. I have nothing against Casey, glad he's on the team despite having a face I would just love to slap, I just can get over he didn't pick Clarke.

As for results, the Americans are playing the underdog card nicely, they've obviously been watching preparation for Scotland football matches. All of Europe's recent wins has been as the underdog, where we haven't been anywhere close to winning a major. Now the shoe is on the other foot, the USPGA leaderboard was full of them. So Europe to win, handsomely, but beware of the underdog!

Attached photo was taken today, first hole of PGA Centenary Course, Gleneagles in the mist and rain, venue of the 2014 Ryder Cup Matches.

Attached Files:

3. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Before I read your post in full I was ready with my argument on why Poulter should be in the team (seems the media don't agree). I do however agree it should have been Clarke and not Casey. Casey's season has been pretty average and Clarke is in great form at the moment. Plus as you said, Casey has a face you just want to slap. Still if he wins his game with a hole in one again I guess I'll just have to eat some of that humble pie...

4. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I think Faldo has gone for the two because he's being doing commentary on US television so has greater exposure of the two. I may be wrong, but I think they may also have been involved in Faldo's coaching school from a young age and so made in his mould, whereas Clarke isn't.

Reading the BBC today, even the players can't believe what he's done. It's as if Faldo wants to be controversial. There was similar criticism last time when Woosie picked Clarke and Westwood over Thomas Bjorn and he was justified by their performances, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Indeed, I was making that point to Ian just the other week....:D
    [​IMG]

5. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

And here is Azinger's Army:

2. Phil Mickelson (6)
    8. Steve Stricker (rookie)
    9. Stewart Cink (3)
    13. Jim Furyk (5)
    15. Anthony Kim (rookie)
    17. Kenny Perry (1)
    23. Justin Leonard (2)
    33. Ben Curtis (rookie)
    35. Boo Weekley (rookie)
    37. Hunter Mahan (rookie)
    53. Chad Campbell (2)
    55. JB Holmes (rookie)

World rankings are numbers to the left, Ryder Cup caps to the right. The world rankings are pretty much on a par with the European team, but there is a dearth of experience. With 3 rookies already on the team, why would Azinger pick 3 more?

Why pick JB Holmes over Zach Johnston, Sean O'Hair, Woody Austin, Scott Verplank (2 caps). Dear oh dear.

I think the Clarke/Poulter/Casey infighting in the European team might be forgotten about now.

6. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Should be a great contest. I was lucky enough to go to The Belfry in 2002. It was one of the most amazing experiences ever. At the time America was so far ahead of everyone that they predicted a huge victory.

As for this year, I think and expect Europe to win, mainly because of the experience factors and the way some of the Europeans are playing, very consistent. However, if the Europeans win, I fear for the long term future of the Ryder Cup. The Americans will start to loose interest soon if they don't win. I don't think they see it as a challenge to win the cup back, they just expect it every year!

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Believe it or not, I feel without Tiger this is a strong team. This just may be the Stars and Stripes year. The first two-days will tell the story.

8. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

So pleased it's finally here.

However do have one question... Who the hell murdered 'Dream On' in the opening ceremony???

Friday's pairings coming up soon, just hope Westwood and Garcia are on of the pairs, they always seem to play really well together.

9. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I thought Faldo putting the first practice out in 3-balls was a stroke of genius, allow a bit of team building and bounce some ideas off each other. Then he makes an arse of it by getting caught with Thursday's practice parings and then bumbling the press at the interview.

Personally I'd love to see these matches;
    Harrington & McDowall vs Mickleson & Kim
    Westwood & Garcia vs Furyk & Curtis

Unfortunately I've got Setanta and not Sky Sports so I'll be limited to watching the highlights on the Beeb unless I shift my bum up to Fereneze.

Haven't seen too many Americans in here blowing their own trumpets. Looks like they don't agree with Jack Nicklaus who is either patriotically trying to boost moral or has unfortunately lost the plot. We'll know by Sunday. :confused:

10. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Ok, lets play some golf.
    Look for Phil and Kim to take the first match and set the tone for Team USA. We have got to keep it close going into Sunday to have a chance.

11. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Not a great start by Europe. In fact worst start by Europe since 1991.
    Hopefully the fourballs will go a little better.

12. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Look out. The Americans in the lead after day one.
    If we are tied or in the lead going into Sunday, it is over.

13. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

14. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Well that sucked for a first day.

Is it time to start the discussion on the importance of Tiger not playing?

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

watched the start of the first day at 11pm last night on Ten HD (im one of the :cool:-kids… aussies will know what i mean ;)) and then watched the end of the first day this morning.

im crap at golf, just starting, so i dont know much about it, but its looks like USA played best with Leonard, Kim and Mickelson. Westwood (my middle name :D) and Rose played well from the Euros.

saw a good shot from Mickelson, hit an iron from the deep rough over a tree onto the green.

16. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Oh yeah, now you post. Where were you and your confidence 2 days ago???? ;)

Golf is the winner so far!
    Always amazed at the quality of golf at Ryder Cup Matches, I think it's because there is less solo pressure than at the majors. Mickleson's flop shot on Friday :eek:, Leonard's closest-darn-thing-I've-ever-seen-to-******-and-one-but-it-didn't-drop, and Sergio has proved that he is the best ball sticker in the world (including Tiggy) - if only he could putt.... :rolleyes:

Poulter justified his wildcard but Casey yet to perform. I think Faldo is putting too much pressure on Harrington by putting him out first, he may be our top player but his record in Ryder Cups is poor.

Boo Weekley been a revelation for me - always liked his 'alternative' approach to golf but I think he flourishes in this format. But total schoolboys errors from him and JB Holmes on the 18th on Friday - threw that game away.

By the way, that 18th hole....:eek: Even I'm having nightmares about that green! US Open standard.

Anyway, Old World behind on Saturday is different from usual, New World has always been better at the singles and their wins normally come from behind. Apart from the last two, where Europe won the last sessions convincingly. So I'll nail my colours to the mast, Europe to be behind going into Sunday but they'll still do it. :)

17. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

18. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

After friday morning I'm pleased we are only 2 points down. Should be a fantastic last day. We just need to get 7 points and we are coming home with the cup (AGAIN).

19. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Well it's going down to the wire. Interesting to note that in the last 3 Ryder Cups Europe have scored more than 7 points in the singles so coming from 2 back is certainly do-able, but at time of writing the game is swinging one way and then the other....

20. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Not looking fantastic for Europe at the moment. But as Fuzzy said will go down to the wire.

On a side note. I think Faldo has was right to pick Poulter, he's been Europe's best player.

Oh and great win for Justin Rose.

21. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Great golf so far. What amazes me is the quality of golf. Normally with match-play the quality of golf is lower than stroke play but with the Ryder Cup guys are making 7-8 birdies per round. Great stuff.

I think USA will just nick this one :(

J.B looking a bit tense though! Just missed a short one....

22. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Just noticed that the highlights on the BBC are on just after it finishes at 11.10pm... that is except for people in Scotland ("home of golf') where it'll be shown at ten past midnight. What kind of crazy programme planning is this? It's been bumped by "Earth: The Climate Wars" which doesn't sound like particularly time sensitive viewing to me, but for the golf it's the difference between watching it or taping it, finding out the result and listening to Sky subscribers in the work talk about it all day tomorrow.

Dear Auntie Beeb, why oh why oh why :(

23. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

the USA just need one more point :(

Still some great golf and really enjoyed watching Boo Weekly (well, after he's little over the top celebration on Friday) and Anthony Kim has been a revelation.

And congrats to Sky, great coverage and looks fantastic in HD.

EDIT: And that it :( Congrats to the USA. Enjoy the next two years, we'll be taking it back at Celtic Manor in 2010.

24. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

USA just won :(

Off to what Hull City on Match of the Day 2 now.

What is Boo Weekley all about! Typical American really :D

Remember when he played at St. Andrews a couple of years ago. He was asked what it was like pplaying at the home of golf, he said something along the lines of: "I thought the course I played at home was the home of golf, thats my home" :rolleyes:

25. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

16 1/2 to 11 1/2 U ----- S ------ A.
    I knew it, we got that darn cup back.
    Boo is not a typical American, he is a typical Redneck.