S.E.O is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by markgodley, Apr 8, 2009.

1. markgodley macrumors regular

hey,

Been looking at improving my search engine ranking and see lots of companys offering S.E.O.

Is it really worth it?
    Will it make a big difference?
    What do they actually do to improve the ranking of my site?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It depends on how much traffic your site is getting now and how much traffic you want it to have. If you're looking to put your business website "on the map," for example, SEO is a very, very good idea. If it's just a personal site it's not as important.

What they'll probably do is make sure that keywords are contained in page links, image names, using a robots.txt file to tell the crawlers which directories to index, etc. For example if you have a hyperlink selling a product that has a name like ".../products/generic_product.html", SEO would rename this to something like ".../products/Apple-iPod-headphones.html" or whatever.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Friendly URLs are pretty irrelevant when it comes to SEO. If that is all the company is telling you to do then run a mile.

The important things when it comes to SEO are content. Making sure you have enough content that will actually make people want to visit your site, and then making sure that the search engines get it indexed. Once that is done you can start playing around with keyword rich articles (not too rich though, you want people to be able to enjoy reading them).

Oh, and making sure your pages are valid XHTML / CSS is another good idea.

4. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

I have around 400 hits a day with about £8 spent on google adwords. Would like to have around 1000 a day as im selling a product. How much is a reasonable price for S.E.O servicing ?

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

How many of those hits are unique viewers and what is your current bounce rate?

6. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

what does bounce rate mean?

here are my stats for yesterday:

Visits

Absolute Unique Visitors

Page Views

Average Page Views

* 00:01:47
    Time on Site

* 72.55%
    Bounce Rate

* 78.68%
    New Visits

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Bounce rate tells you how many people visit your site and then leave, i.e they bounced off your site only looking at one page. A high bounce rate is bad. From the looks of it you need to get more content on your site so that people have more stuff to look at. The longer someone stays on your site the more chance they will buy stuff from you.

8. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. I only sell 5 products, which are on the main page. So i dont believe bounce rate really reflects it as they pay via paypal

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well in that case what is your conversion rate?

10. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

Where do i find the conversion rate? im using google Analytics , i cant find it

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can work it out yourself. What percentage of those visitors actually bought something?

12. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

I had 79 sales that day :)