S.M.A.R.T failing caused by data cable/logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oplix, Aug 21, 2010.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

So I took my MBP into the apple store today and explained that my original hard drive was showing as failing after my two momentus xt drives were apparently failing as well. He said it was really strange and hooked up the drive to their external interface and low and behold there was no errors on the drive. He said it's most likely being caused by IO errors due to a bad SATA cable or possibly logic board. We had my MBP sent in for testing.

So basically if you see SMART failing status it may not be the drive afterall.

I was at the SOHO store in NYC and Jason helped me. He was awesome and very technically knowledgable. :)

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Was it a 13" Macbook Pro? If so, it's fairly common and is usually the cable.

3. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

Ok I got my MBP back today which in itself is pretty amazing because I gave it to apple on Friday. So by the report which they printed, the only thing they replaced was the hard drive. This is somewhat troubling because the Genius at the Apple Store clearly wrote notes that the cable could be failing. I don't see why they wouldn't just replace it. Maybe they did and just didn't put it into the report?

It said that all hardware tests came back ok.

The one thing that I noticed however is they replaced my Seagate with a Hitachi. I'm all for it since Seagate hasn't exactly been reliable for me regardless wether it's a cable issue or not.

Anyone know is the Hitachi drive is any better?