S.M.A.R.T. Failing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Apolloluna, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Apolloluna macrumors newbie

image.jpg Hi,

I'm having major issues with my MacBook Pro. It started running incredibly slow and then wouldn't even boot. I tried restoring from a Time Machine backup (on an external drive) with no luck, eventually I reinstalled OS X from Disk Utility, but now when I boot it stalls for ages with the progress bar two thirds full, then a load of code appears briefly on the screen, then it restarts and I get a flashing folder with a question mark. If I boot into recovery mode it says "this drive has a hardware problem that cannot be repaired" and the S.M.A.R.T. Status says "Failing" in red.

I guess I probably need a new drive? But I'm confused that it only says "Failing" rather than failed, and yet I can't seem to boot up. Is there any hope of repair?

Thanks very much

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

1) you may have more luck if post in the laptop forum. For the desktop Mac Pro users here, it's so easy for us to replace the HDD / SSD, and I bet most of us will just replace it without think twice.

2) failing is just marginally better than failed. IMO, it gives you little bit extra time to replace it, not repair it. Especially you have backup, there is no need to repair the drive and get the data back.