S.M.A.R.T. Status Failing on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sick z33, Nov 15, 2010.

1. sick z33, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

sick z33 macrumors 6502

Hey guys I have an iMac I purchased in 2008 (not sure what gen that is, but its the one right before the current models) in 24'' screen with 320GB hard drive. It began running anciently slow so I popped in the disk at startup to run Disk Utility and it shows that the hard drive is failing :(

No more Warranty on the iMac so I'm gonna have to do myself. Does anyone have recommendations on what hard drive to get? The 320GB is plenty for me. The sad thing is that the hard drive failed before when it was under warranty and it happened again - I believe its a Maxtor so I figured I would go with a more reliable brand. I remember when buying memory for the iMac there was only select brands that were compatible. Would this also apply to buying the correct hard drive?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

First, stop posting and backup your stuff. I'd suggest a Seagate. I love my various Seagates.

3. sick z33 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Research how to replace your Harddrive or take it in to a repair shop for a new harddrive (hopefully an SSD) and do the os install urself

5. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

I've never had a Seagate or Western Digital drive fail on me. *knocks on wood*