S0 Heart Rate Recovery

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mlrollin91, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

So there are a few threads around here (a few pages back) that discussed the new heart rate features for watchOS 4 and S0 watch. After restoring my watch as new with my 8Plus, I have now received the heart rate recovery feature on my watch. In addition to that, Health is now reporting V02 levels while working out. I also have the option to turn on elevated heart rate options.

Now with that being said S0 doesn't get everything, resting heart rate and walking average do not populate, only workout related show up. But I figured I would just let everyone know that S0 isn't completely out of luck.

2. timidhermit macrumors 6502

I am not getting VO2 levels in my Health app with my first-generation Apple Watch. It is running watchOS 4.3.1. Did I miss some settings I need to enable to get this exercise stat? I, too, get Heart Rate Recovery after exercise.

3. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

You’ll get VO2 from outdoor workout only, like running & biking. No indoor exercises will give you that.

4. timidhermit macrumors 6502

I did not know this! This is most strange. I read somewhere else that Apple calculates V02 based on exercise parameters such as heart rate but NOT the type of exercise. If this is true, then it should not matter whether the exercise is indoor or outdoor. Is it because it needs GPS data to track some exercise metrics needed to calculate V02? Do you have a link to some article where I can read about this (I googled but cannot find any)?

5. rjp1 macrumors regular

I thought S0 didn’t get elevated heart rate.

6. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I don’t use my S0 anymore, since I upgraded to an S3. But it definitely had the option for elevated heart rate notifications.

7. rjp1 macrumors regular

Do you remember what app has the option?

8. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

According to Apple
    Looks like it’s walking & running.
    (For the record, it’s not only Workout app. I got it from running with NRC too)

from this thread @ Reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/7d7cbo/when_does_watch_measure_vo2_or_vo2_max/

9. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

What do you mean by what app? Just go to watch settings and it should be there. Watch -> notifications -> heart rate.

10. rjp1 macrumors regular

That's the weird thing. In the Watch app on the phone - "Heart" doesn't show up. I wonder if it is because this phone has never paired with a newer watch than the original. When you saw it, had you paired a newer watch?

11. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Nope. Only had an S0 at the time.

12. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

It doesn't

I use HeartWatch App. Open the Settings at top right, Notifications. You can set alerts there.

There is no Heart option under Notifications on the S0 Watch App. At least I have none----

13. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

So maybe it was pulled after 4.0/11.0. Because when I created this thread back in September I had the elevated heart rate notification settings. It wasn’t there when I had my S0 and 7Plus. But upon restoring my 8Plus and watch as new. It appeared.

14. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have only had S0 for 3 months. Son gave it to me. During that time never had it. Saw this mentioned on another thread. Forget where.

15. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

If I have some time, I will pull put the S0 and pair it to a new device, that has never been attached to an Apple Watch before. I'll see if the option is there.

16. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I didn't restore my X before pairing watch. But, it had never been paired with a watch.

17. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Did you ever have a watch before? On a previous iPhone and you used a backup for your X?

Thats the only thing I can think of, besides them pulling support for it after the initial release.

18. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

No, never

Son had this since day one. But, got a 3 when they came out.

He let me try it and I liked it. So, he said keep it---:)