S0 owner. Ok to update?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Corsig, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Corsig macrumors regular

As stated, I have the very first series and its near dead. I have to keep it on airplane mode all day to make it through work. Will updating help my battery life any or just kill it outright?

I'm desperately waiting for Mondays announcment hoping for info on a new model.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

They just announced s3 last fall. They aren’t going to announce anything at WWDC. At best you’ll be waiting until the September event.

3. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Agree. They’ll definitely announce watchOS 5 on Monday, but it’s highly unlikely that there will be a new Apple Watch announced before September.

To the OP: it sounds like your original Apple Watch is past the point of being useful. Any of the newer models would be a big upgrade.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Maybe some bands as well. Slim though

5. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Haha. You’re right, there will probably be some new band colours as well.

6. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

I updated and my S0 is fine. Makes it though the day and then some, but my battery isn't as bad as yous.

7. Clix Pix, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018

Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I am another Series 0 owner who went ahead and updated and had no problems, although it took longer to do than my Series 3 did. My Series 0 still works, and I do like to wear it from time to time with different sport bands and leave my Space Black stainless steel band on the Space Black SS Series 3 watch. Battery is still OK, although it doesn't last as long as the Series 3 one does.

8. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

also have a SO and updated - working fine always make it through the day unless I use it to track biking / running / hiking.

There is a a work out / power saving mode also in the watch app in the settings <general - that might help?

9. Relentless Power, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

At This point, sounds like your battery might be past its lifespan, so I’m not sure updating or not would make a difference your Apple Watch whenever the next update is available. What I would do, is have Apple conduct a free battery watch test, which they can determine if your battery is in need of replacement at 80% threshold. Also, as an Option, you can also trade in your Apple Watch for store credit for a newer model Apple Watch.

10. kohlson macrumors 68000

I got a little longer life on my SO once I lowered the brightness a tick.

Also, installed the latest WatchOS and hard to see if better or worse life.

11. tl01 macrumors 68020

Darn! For a moment when I read the OP, I was thinking maybe I was remembering incorrectly about when I got my current watch (3) and that new one was going to be announced!

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    What update are you talking about? The minor .x update? That's not likely to do much (if anything) one way or the other. Sounds like your options are a) battery upgrade b) upgrade the watch or c) buy an extra charger so you can charge it mid day.

Doing what you're doing now is not a realistic tenable solution. If it's on airplane mode all day then you aren't even really getting to use it. As others have said a Series 4 version won't be coming out till september/october timeframe

13. BlankStar macrumors 6502

BlankStar

Series 0 here, but I'm waiting for the Series 4. My battery still lasts through the day but I've changed several settings to get there. Only tap to wake the screen for example, something I hate but have to do to make it to the end of the day...

14. Corsig thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies. Yesterday I had to put my watch on the charger two times to keep it going. I charged it over night then around 1pm for only a little bit cause I had to run out and wanted to give it as much juice as possible then around 6pm again for a short time. Completely dead at 8pm. Sucked big time.

I know they aren't releasing a new one today but was hoping for an announcement that one is coming in the fall (I know very little chance of it)

I might have to bite the bullet and get a new once cheap then consider the S4 after...

15. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

I'm still using my 42mm Space Grey S0 and the battery is still as good as new. Put it on this morning at 7am and the battery is only at 82% (its 3:12pm as I type this).

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I wonder if watchOS 5 will even run on the S0. I still use my S0 every day, and while I hope it gets updated with some of the same sort of performance/stability improvements that are rumored for iOS 12, I kinda also hope they just move on from it altogether so they don't have to support legacy first-gen hardware and can start creating more advanced experiences. It sucks to get cut-off but that's the bleeding edge first-gen life. I will definitely be buying whatever new Apple Watch comes out this autumn. Had to do so many tricks to get my battery life to last and be able to track my walk/sprints during lunch.

17. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

It's pretty much certain that the S0 will not be getting watchOS 5. It's already pushing hard at the limit and it really will be time for people to upgrade in September.

18. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

And confirmed today. I guess now I know I will be upgrading my S0 by September. It looks like it will be a good update, and there might be a new Apple Watch S4 released by then as well.

19. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Yeah that's a certainty pretty much. I expect Apple may have a few more delightful surprises in watchOS 5 software for those who buy the S4, just in case you need any more persuading.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I actually sold all my first generation Apple Watches a few months back, expecting that WWDC was going to eliminate any future updates for the first GEN watch. I think my timing was perfect, because now I think the Matket will be completely saturated with first generation Apple Watches selling and likely drop even more in price as a reflection of this.

21. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

I really don't want to upgrade my S0 Black SS 42mm. It still looks the same as day 1, very new and shiny.

IMG_4604.jpg