S1 original charger compatible with S3?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by araczek, Sep 24, 2017.

1. araczek macrumors member

hello all-
    I live in one state but work in another (away from home for the week) and usually maintain charging cables in both places. Main question is will my original series 1 charger work for my S3 cellular watch? If it’s better to get an s3 charger then I will, just easier if I don’t need to buy another.

Thank you.

PS Like the watch so far!

2. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

3. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors 6502

iKnowMr.Jobs

The new Watch is compatible with all previous chargers. The only difference with the Series 3 is that it can be charged with a Qi charger (like the iPhone 8) as an alternative to the previous Magsafe inductive charging (maybe the old ones can charge via Qi, but I haven't tested nor heard of if).

4. KrisLord macrumors 65832

The S3 isn’t QI compatible.

I posted earlier in another thread that it only works with apples new airpower pad, and someone commented it has been shown to work with some random no name induction chargers, but not with the more common branded QI chargers.

5. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

My LTE Series 3 came with a different charger and will only work with that one. Does not work with the Series 2 charger.

6. ColoArtist macrumors regular

Interesting. I have two series 2 chargers which are attached to stands. I didn't swap either one out for the one which came with the series 3. Both of the old chargers seem to work just fine.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

My Series 1 charger works perfectly for Series 3; didn't even had to mess the accessories on the S3 box so no need to buy an extra one OP.

8. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Like previous posters, I didn't even bother taking the charger out of the S3 box. Just hooked it up to my S0 charger since I already had it wired around my nightstand, etc. Works just fine.