S1 still feasible?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eeqlaehuje, Sep 25, 2017.

?

Is S1 good enough for just notifications and occasional runs?

1. Yes, buy S1

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, buy S3

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. eeqlaehuje macrumors newbie

eeqlaehuje

Hello,

I will primarily use the watch for checking the notifications while at work. I occasionally run too, but always with my phone. Will the lack of gps impact this in any way? I'd mostly like the watch to show me my hearth rate. Should I spend the extra money and go for S3? or do you think S1 is good enough for my needs?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Series One would easily be manageable for your uses. Series 3 would be more suitable if you decided you want the freedom of LTE away from being tethered to the iPhone. You have to ask yourself if can justify the difference in price for using both Watches primarily that offer the similar capabilities aside from LTE, GPS and 50 Meter water resistance rating.

3. eeqlaehuje thread starter macrumors newbie

eeqlaehuje

I forgot to mention that S3 with LTE is out of the cards as it's not supported in my country.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Then if you don't have access to LTE, I don't see Series 3 being a direct benefit to unless you wanted to take advantage of all the newest features and capabilities. Especially given your circumstances are fairly light, Series one would likely be applicable for your situation.

5. pika2000 macrumors 601

Series 1 is practically just a non-waterproof series 2. So I would think it's still usable.

6. skillwill, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

skillwill macrumors 6502

Also worth factoring in though the fact that yes it's usable NOW, but will it continue to be? You'd imagine an S3 will probably take you up to Watch OS 7/8 without issue. It's unlikely S1 will take you much past next year's Watch OS 5, so yes you save some money now, but you'll be upgrading (so re-spending) much sooner too when your Watch is crippled. I'd say it's a false economy - but it's up to you!

7. eeqlaehuje thread starter macrumors newbie

eeqlaehuje

What about if I don't update the watchos? Is it possible to use watchOS 3 with say, iOS 11?

8. SoN1NjA, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

You'll be forced to during setup

If it were me I'd buy a S3 non cellular, it's only a $70 difference and you get a future proofed Apple Watch (as well as benefits you'll see today―such as the brighter display and enhanced water resistance)