S2 GPS battery usage iPhone vs AW2 only?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eastwoodandy, Sep 22, 2016.

1. eastwoodandy macrumors member

Has anyone tried a workout using just the AW2 and then again with the iPhone to see if there is much difference in battery usage?

I'm stuck indoors at the moment so haven't had a chance to use any workout apps. I'm intrigued to know the difference.

My plan is to use just the AW2 when running, but I often go hiking too. The Hikes can be anywhere from 3-6 hours long, so I'm hoping the AW2 + iPhone will give me enough juice to do the whole distance with the watch.

When it's raining with low visibility, the water resistant watch will be a godsend for getting a quick bearing.

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Here's a start, until folks can provide their first-hand experience. Apple estimates that the watch with a phone will get 8 hours for a workout. Watch with GPS (no phone) will get 5 hours for a workout.

http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

3. eastwoodandy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that's useful. I missed the bit where they mention watch+phone= 8hrs.

Looks like this should work for me. For really long walks I'll be bringing my USB battery charger. So I could always use my phone for the workout, safely in my backpack and the watch for occasionally taking bearings.

Nothing beats a compass, map & brain, but in low visibility it gets tricky.

4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I've done work out both ways. A one hour walk for 4 miles takes about 20% using just the onboard GPS, whereas a one hour workout for 4 miles with the phone present takes only about 10% maybe 12%. So it's nearly a doubling in percentages power usage when the GPS is active on the watch only.

Appel states that using the watch for a work out with the onboard GPS should last five hours, so my real world experience is pretty much in line with apples expectation.