S2 vs S3 with Airpods and Siri

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rstark18, Sep 14, 2017.

1. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

I just picked up a S2 on discount and it's my first Apple Watch. Prior to owning the watch, whenever I have to use Siri with my Airpods I reach in my pocket and press my home button and talk to Siri via the Airpods (Airpods have play/pause & skip track as the default gestures).
    I thought when I got my AW I would just press the Siri button on the AW and talk into my headphone. This is not the case. When I press the Siri button on the AW i have to speak into the watch then it either give me a written answer or directs me to my phone then the phone uses the Airpods. Convoluted.
    I'm wondering if the S3 will work this way. I know it's supposed to be more Siri friendly.

2. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

S3 will talk back to you.

And iOS 11 on your phone will have setting option for the Airpods where you can double tap the airpods and siri will turn on. You can even set up left and right airpods individually. I have ios11 beta and it works.

3. rstark18, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I have Airpods in I don't want my watch talking to me, I want my Airpods to.

re: iOS 11. I have iOS 11 and wOS 4 installed. BTW, Siri on the double tap has always been there since iOS 10 just not the choice to set it individually for R/L. As I said in my post, my double tap options are set to next track and play/pause. My thought going into my purchase of the AW S2 was I could easily invoke Siri from the AW while using my Airpods. It's not very seamless like it is with just the iPhone.
    For instance. When listening to a podcast and I invoke Siri from the AW, the podcast keeps playing and Siri on the watch wants me to talk into the watch.
    I'm thinking of just ordering the S3 tonight to see if Siri integration with the Airpods is better than it is with the S2. I sure hope so.

4. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

if you have airpods linked to the watch the siri voice should come through the airpods.

using my iphone, whether I double tap on the airpods or I say "hey siri" the siri response is heard on the airpods. i don't have AW yet.

5. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

While the S3 can talk back like the iPhone in a Siri response, I've seen no indication there is any other difference in how Bluetooth headphones or AirPods would be handled. I'd assume that behavior is common to S2 and S3.

6. rstark18, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope not but you're probably right.

Being new to this combination and seeing how seamless Siri and the iPhone/Airpods work. I am really surprised at how non-seamless the AW/iPhone/Airpods mesh.
    Another example is I start playing music on my phone. The controls pop up on the AW like I would expect. I can control everything. Now I press the Siri button on the watch and I am trying to talk to the watch while the music is still going and then have to read the response also while the music is still going. It's a big cluster f.
    There is a workaround but I didn't expect to have to implement any workarounds when dealing with Siri and Apple products. They are very proud of the Siri interface and I thought they'd have this combination of products working seamless.

The workarounds are:

If playing music then you must START the music from the watch. It then pairs the Airpods with the watch instead of the iPhone. Siri then works as expected (sans voice feedback through the headphones which I expect the S3 will resolve).

If playing podcasts (Downcast is my preference) you must designate either the right or left double tap to enable Siri. This pretty much ignores the AW all together and you are dealing with just your iPhone and the Airpods. This is actually not too bad as the only reason I had the left Airpod set to skip forward was so I didn't have to take my phone out of my pocket. Now with the Downcast AW app, all the controls are on the AW.

Edit:
    One more thing I just discovered. If in workaround 1 (playing music started on the AW) then the Airpods are synced to the AW. When they are synced to the AW they DO NOT recognize the separate L/R custom settings for double tap. They apply the Right side setting to both L and R. So in my case where I have L set to Siri and R set to Play/Pause then I don't have access to double tap for Siri. What a mess.

7. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

is the Feedback app permanent on ios11 now?
    I installed the new release today and it still has feedback app.
    am I still on beta version?

8. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Phone speaker is separated from watch speaker. What you will get from S3 is instead of having to read the text, now you will hear it from watch speaker.

You can: either connect airpods to the watch, or using double tap on airpods to invoke Siri, which you disabled, this way it doesn't matter what device you connect, you'll hear her in your ears.

9. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe as long as the profile is installed the feedback stays. I'm pretty sure when you delete the profile and restart your phone it gets deleted.

10. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

thanks.

did you give apple the feedback about your problem?

11. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I re-enabled Siri on the Left side but that does not work if connected to AW. When Airpods are connected to AW the AW does not recognize the custom L/R settings in iOS11. I would think (hope) this will get fixed in an update.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    Yes.