S2 Watch BT Headphone Connection Fail?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ScubaCinci, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I had the original Apple watch and have now gotten a series 2. I had never tried to pair the watch with BT headphones before and I decided to try last night. I have 2 different pairs of BT headphones (one Anker, one MPOW) and while the watch "sees" them, it will not pair with them. I spent about 20 minutes trying and they never would connect - I kept getting the message that it could not pair and to make sure the headphone are in pairing mode (they were). Obviously, I was only trying one at a time.
    Are there issues with connecting with certain headphones or is there something else I might try? I have a few BT speakers and I'm going to try to pair with those tonight and see what happens.

2. bthompson macrumors member

I have a cheap QY8 headphones and they were a nightmare to pair. I spent two days trying to figure it out. One time walking out the door I tried it and they connected right away, now they work flawlessly.

3. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

It took me half an hour of constantly trying to pair my Jaybird headphones. It was extremely frustrating, but it did eventually work.

4. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

Had the same issue with the Jaybirds. I found that if you restart the watch and try to pair immediately when it boots back up that helped. Once it is paired you should be good. Also, I found that if the headphones were paired to any other device I had issues. I had to "forget" them from my iPhone before they would pair to the watch.

5. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out (I did unpair them from my phone first). I would've never imagined it would be this difficult.

6. bthompson macrumors member

Yeah it was surprisingly very difficult. Made me want AirPods, but then it worked and off I went with my $20 headphones.

7. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Update: I did a reboot of the watch and was able to pair one of the headphones (I didn't try the other) right away. Not sure if it's coincidence or it helped but I'll be using that procedure in the future if I have trouble pairing again.

8. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

Glad a reboot helped. In my case, they instantly pair from here on out so hopefully the same works for you! I only have a single pair paired up though.