S3 + AirPods Productivity Experiment: Live Results

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Trent0341, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Trent0341, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Previously I started a thread (Link) about testing out using the Apple Watch S3 and AirPods at work without bringing the iPhone to work (full disclosure it was left in my car in a parking garage where it does not have BT reach). I am going to be posting the results as I try this today. I will update this periodically throughout the day. If anyone else has tried this I would be curious to here how it went for you.

0515: First put the watch on

0715: At work, watch is no longer linked to iPhone (The fact that I am unable to stream podcast or audible means the phone isn't totally getting left at home).

0800: Battery life at 94% - My activity consist of a few text and various checks (activity, email, etc.). The email initially takes about 30 seconds to work... initially it shows a small red phone icon with a slash through it. The watch is showing three bars of LTE prior to this so I know it is connected.

edited to add: I also ran 12 flights of step this hour. The watch tracked this accurately. Previously, It has not been accurate when I have left my phone on my desk. Probably due to handoff issues.

0900: Battery life at 83% - Activity involves texting (voice and scribble, unsurprisingly siri has minor issues translating what I am saying on voice, the scribbling works well but is understandably slow. It is still a great fix for no key board in my opinion.

1000: Battery life at 60% - Obviously the battery, after a little less than 5 hours total time and three hours on LTE, is not going to make a full day. I did bring a charger. During the 0900-1000 hour I spoke on the phone (with AirPods) for a total of 9 minutes. I also bought a coworker a drink with apple pay from a vending machine (worked flawlessly). It does seem that the credit cards I recently added need to be added to the watch from the phone which I forgot to do. Still it worked as needed. The ability to access documents from iCloud has been valuable. Before I would have just referenced my phone for them.

1100: Battery life at 50%. During this time I used the Breathe app for two minutes, texted and checked email once each. I also used the timer once.

1PM: (Missed an hour, busy at work) Battery life at 25%. Obviously I am going to have to charge at some point but I will take it to the end. During the last two hours I have texted and checked email. I also had a two minute phone call. The watch lost signal altogether for approximately 1 minute during this. It was at my desk and I have had signal here both before and after. No idea why it randomly dropped. I also had some issues using siri, receiving the "I'll tap you when I'm ready"... eventually I just used scribble and it worked fine.

2 PM:
    Battery life at 10%. It does not appear that the watch will make it till 3PM. The battery life on LTE appears to be 7-8 hours (with another 2 hours connected to the phone).

During this last hour I experienced difficulty getting my AirPod to connect to my watch when answering a call. I took it out and put it back in my ear multiple times while talking to my wrist... Not fun.

I also did a "micro-workout" (Running six flights of stairs twice). This time I used the workout app (other) to test it out. I do these a couple time a day. The heart rate was wildly off the entire time. If I held it completely still it would correct itself in about 15-30 seconds. Today I am wearing the Milanese bands. I have noted the issue with Apple's leather band as well. This isn't directly related to being connected to the phone but it is annoying. There may be better luck with the sports band or the plastic one.

I also texted, spent about 4 minutes on the phone, used the breathe app for 3 minutes, and checked email once or twice although this does not appear to be updating.

Latest Update:

3PM: Battery died ay 2:33 PM. This equates to 7 hours and 18 minutes of LTE and 2 hours of connected time. It might get some people through the day but doubtful, and definitely not for me. A call at 5% remaining killed the battery (I was not even able to answer... definitely problematic if I had left my phone and charger at home).

I placed it on a charger (to a usb port on my laptop) and was up to 24% in 15 minutes and 37% in 30 minutes. I would guess it would do better plugged into a wall.

Additional updates to follow...

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Speaking for myself, I've had zero expectation that the AW3 would go all day on LTE. It'll be interesting to see how much of a day of "normal usage" you're able to achieve.

3. iThink Apple macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

So you can have the option to have your watch connected to the wifi...and then when you leave, it will go to LTE, correct? Just like the iPhone?

4. bluechair1984 macrumors regular

I'd be curious to see what the difference would be if you were connected to wifi while at work. Seems like that would be a good test too.

5. pcorrado macrumors 6502

How are you accessing files from iCloud?

6. Trent0341 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry... I should have been more clear. I am doing this from my work computer.

7. pcorrado macrumors 6502

Ah . . . I got so excited for a second.

8. Trent0341 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes... Yesterday I tried it for awhile (phone in car, watch on wifi). I only did it for a couple of hours but I still had over 50% when I put my watch on the charger last night (15-16 hours of usage overall). So it did not seem to have any real affect on the battery.

9. iThink Apple macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Thanks! So I will watch my watch to be on the Wifi as much as possible then. So if it's not on Wifi and your phone is with you, then it will connect to your phone? LTE is the last resort?

10. Trent0341 thread starter macrumors 6502

Based on my limited experience I would say you are right. After (a little under) 4 hours on LTE I am at 50%. No issues on wifi yesterday. I had to forget my work wifi to make sure it didn't connect today.

I would say that as long as you keep it at 3-4 hours on LTE (with the remainder either connected to wifi or your iPhone) you wouldn't have any problems making it through the day.

11. profets macrumors 601

I also went to work this morning without my iPhone. I was up at about 5:30, went for a half hour run (10-15% battery used), and then came to work at about 8. At the office though my Watch connects to wifi. Been using it for some messages and a handful of phone calls (with AirPods). Curious how battery life will be on wifi. I guess it would fall somewhere between battery life of being connected directly to the phone and that of being on cellular only. Currently at 77% just past 11am.

It's a pretty cool feeling going out without the worry about carrying a phone

12. bthompson macrumors regular

This is possible. I have been using mine without a phone for almost two weeks. I have office wifi so that helps. Just getting text/emails on LTE and the watch will easily go all day. Phone calls really kill the battery so if you are needing to take a lot of calls it won't last.

13. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

14. mathewr macrumors 6502

This is my second day with no phone, but have airpods with watch and ipad. im liking it. i may not even get a new phone this year.

15. Trent0341 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also great to know that wifi is just as good as having your phone as far as battery life.

16. Trent0341 thread starter macrumors 6502