S3 - GPS or LTE?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by HiDEF, Jun 17, 2018.

1. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Took advantage of BB sale and picked up the S3 Nike+ GPS. However, I’m having buyers remorse and it’s only because of the composite vs ceramic argument. Did I make a mistake in picking up the GPS model? Due to the sale, the difference is pretty hefty; about $140 difference.

Would love to hear your opinions. Is the composite that fragile and worth upgrading to the ceramic back?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Composite (More technical term for a very durable plastic) is really not that fragile, it’s just it doesn’t have the scratch resistance that ceramic does. I personally think it’s a non-issue with having a composite back, because in most scenarios, the watch is either on your wrist or it’s on the charger. I would just use caution if you do set the watch down on the back, make sure it’s not on a surface that could potentially scratch the back of the watch.

If you’re not interested in LTE, that I really don’t see the advantage of upgrading In your situation, unless you were very adamant about having a ceramic backing and sapphire display.

3. HiDEF, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018

HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

The heart rate sensor works the same with both, composite and ceramic? In other words, one isn’t better than the other when it comes to taking your HR?

Also, I was under the impression that the LTE only comes with Ion-strengthened glass not sapphire (according to Apple site).

EDIT: nvm, I just read that the ceramic comes with the sapphire. Ugh, ceramic + sapphire might just be worth the investment. I have no intentions of using the LTE but the durability might be worth the price tag especially for resale.

4. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

I think you should go with LTE. The LTE version comes with the Ceramic Heart Rate Sensor & Ion-X strengthened Glass. Although Sapphire would be nice, the Ion-X glass scratch resistance is pretty decent. The Ceramic Back on my apple watch series 3 LTE hasn't scratched either.

I did regret not going with Ceramic back on my S1 apple watch. By the time i upgraded to S3, my S1 composite back was scratched up. My watch would scratch every time i set it on the charger, so frequently that i put a felt cutout on my charger to prevent future scratching.

5. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

The stainless steel comes with a sapphire crystal as well that's what I have. Is the only ceramic model available the Apple Watch Edition? I got the LTE because there are times I have my cell phones in my cubicle at work and I need to be able to respond to text messages

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The LTE version also comes with 16GB of storage vs 8GB with the other model.

7. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

I didn't realize that

8. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Storage isn't a deal breaker for me. The more I think about it, the more I can't justify the price difference. Going to continue to listen to everyones thoughts and try to make a decision soon.

9. DotCom2 macrumors 601

This is important if you plan to store a lot of music locally on you watch BTW.

10. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

Completely agree! I love being able to have my photo gallery to the max available, as well as tons of music from Apple Music. Is there currently a way to add songs from Radio to your library from Apple Watch alone?

11. gahig ulo macrumors 6502a

gahig ulo

I have the gps s3 and dont think its a bigdeal going for ceramic back im sure alot of people are buying the cheapest model as they can.i never heard or read somewhere about the composite back not reading heart rate accurately because of scratches and yes it will scratch even just charging it.if apple made the lte model saphire and only 140 more i would buy in an instant but i dont think its worth it to get the ceramic back/lte for 140 more because you can buy a series 1 on that price

12. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

I think I read that somewhere

13. DotCom2 macrumors 601

That I do not know, Sorry.

14. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Anyone know generally how many songs the 8gb holds?

15. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

I was able to get around 1000 songs on my Apple Watch Series 1

16. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I think you have the ceramic back and the ceramic case confused.

All LTE AW watches have the ceramic back. If it has an aluminum case, then it has an ion-X glass screen. If it has a SS or ceramic case, then it will have the sapphire screen. Additionally, all Nike AW's have an aluminum case, therefore all Nike AW's have the ion-X screen.

The lowest priced AW3 with a sapphire screen is the 38mm SS AW3 with sports band. It retails for $599.

17. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I was mistaken, thank you for clarifying!

18. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

Thanks that cleared up some confusion I had

19. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Well, no, it isn't (particularly fragile) I'd say. Or well, it might depend on how you treat your watch perhaps, but I charge mine daily using Apple's supplied puck, and the back is a little fuzzy after nearly three years, primarily in the very center of the back*, where it doesn't matter. The area around the center where the LEDs and photo diodes are located does have visible microscratches, but they're so fine and so sparse that it can't possibly affect the functionality of the pulse sensor to any measureable degree, and that's after three years (in a few weeks.)

I just wouldn't worry about it. If you're a little OCD about scratches just keep your watch laying on its side when you're not wearing it, to keep the back from rubbing against any hard surfaces. Still, I don't think it's a big deal. Be happy with your choice and the nice deal you made. The plastic back is also lighter than the ceramic one, so if weight is a big deal to you (like if you're a runner for example), you'll save a few grams here. Think positively! :)

*Which is plastic actually - technically composite, since it's a multi-injection molded piece with fresnel lenses set into it, but "composite" is really just a fancier way of saying plastic without having to use that word. :p

20. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Thanks for the advice! I believe I'm going to keep the GPS model and hold off until the S4 to get the LTE variant. Again, I just can justify the price difference; specially when there's rumors of the S4 being released at the end of the year.

Even the 8GB should be enough for my usage.