S3 record floors during shower

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by python0704, Oct 6, 2017.

1. python0704 macrumors regular

python0704

The first night I took my Nike S3 to shower and it record 6 floors within 7 minutes. I suspect the vapor pressure triggered barometer. But it could also be just random error. Will keep an eye on it.

Attached Files:

2. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Weird, but I guess that’s one way to get your activity in.

I use mine in the shower to adjust the volume of a Sonos I have stationed nearby. It’s awesome!

3. python0704 thread starter macrumors regular

python0704

Second day data, two floors recorded during shower. I begin to suspect it’s an actual bug that needs get Apple’s attention. Anyone with beta wanna replicate this and report to Apple?

Attached Files:

4. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Mine doesn't record floors when I take a shower, but it does give me a few minutes on the Exercise ring.

Which is actually a bit worrying, tbh.

5. python0704 thread starter macrumors regular

python0704

My S2 used to give me a couple minutes of exercise every shower so I’m used to that. But the S3 problem is more annoying, if this isn’t a wide spread issue I may have to get it replaced if this continues for me.

6. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

What is floors?

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Elevation gain or loss of about 10'/3M for each floor. Example if you walk up the stairs of a 25 story building you will receive about 25 floors credit.

8. acalandi macrumors newbie

What app are you using to control your Sonos?

9. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for explaining i was completely unaware of floors. It’s really a bad reading from AW3 to show floor records if you are in shower. I also take shower with AW3 and AW0 i will let you know the results.

10. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

If you queue up something using the Sonos app on your phone, Now Playing in the Dock will let you control volume. It will have the "iPhone" icon in the top left corner as if you are controlling something playing on iPhone.

I have also used ZonePlay which works pretty well and gives you more control.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Well, if you are moving your wrist up and down in the shower quickly.. The watch might have recorded that as stair movement.. ;)

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The barometer measures differences in air pressure changes in altitude and NOT movement. You would need to go up or down several meters for this to work which is farther than your arm can reach.

13. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Haha, now that's a possibility.
    Wonder if Apple support will ask what you were doing in the shower when the watch was recording the elevation gains?

14. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Speculation:

The impact of water droplets hitting the watch's sensor openings triggers the barometer. IE, nothing is actually wrong with your watch, and replacing it would do nothing. If this bothers you so much, just take your watch off during your showers.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

My speculation of what could be happening. A droplet of water gets into the barometer opening and seals it off. The water is warm and this warms (adds energy to) the sealed air inside the barometer. This warmer air incrsess the air pressure because of the seal and fools the barometer into thinking you are on a lower floor. When the seal breaks it then reads the lower pressure and gives credit for an elevation gain.

16. Nhott, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

Nhott macrumors member

It does say on Apples water resistance page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000
    “On Apple Watch Series 3, measurements from the barometric altimeter may be less accurate if water gets into the air vent, for example during swimming. Normal altimeter performance will return after the water has evaporated.”

iFixit’s tear down does show that the vent has been moved next to the diagnostic port so I’d imagine that water may have more of an impact being in that location. https://cdn-macrumors-com.cdn.amppr...new/2017/09/apple-watch-series-3-air-vent.jpg

17. python0704 thread starter macrumors regular

python0704

Thanks for all of replies. I have been follow apple advisor's troubleshooting steps which I'm pretty sure everyone knows, unpair and re-pair, unpair and setup as new, still doesn't resolve it. I also ordered another watch to test and it also recorded floors. So the above explanation certainly make sense. And it saves me a trip to apple store. I just wish apple would come up with something to differentiate it and make barometer work more accurately.

18. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

And I get stand awards when I’m sitting down, and exercise things when I’m riding my golf cart

So annoying