S3 < S0 for heart rate

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rickeames, Jun 13, 2018.

1. rickeames macrumors 6502

Upgraded to a series 3 yesterday from the original. Fired up "workout" this morning and went for a walk. I got to a steep hill and as soon as my heart rate started to climb, the watch completely lost the ability to track my heart rate. It actually dropped instead of going up. Never had this issue with S0, and after searching Apple Forums, it appears to be an ongoing issue.

Someone in a posting suggested that the Zones app, using the same sensor, tracks accurately suggesting that the software for Workouts may be at fault.

Any insights? I shouldn't have to supplement my expensive watch with a chest strap. My wife's Fitbit doesn't have this issue and costs a fraction of this.

2. Bgosh macrumors newbie

Bgosh

I've had this issue as well since upgrading from a S0 to S2. I've found if I go to the heart rate app and then go back to my workout it fixes the issue. A pain to do with any workout other than a walk or run. I've been hoping for a fix with every update.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have owned all three of the Apple watches and all have lost my HR without warning. Sometime repositioning the AW on your wrist will help but sometimes the HR function just dies. It is why I use my Garmin Felix for fitness but use the AW for all else.

4. rjp1 Suspended