S3/S4 randomly switches to silent mode!!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Damn Dirty Ape, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Damn Dirty Ape macrumors regular

Damn Dirty Ape

So now that I have my S4 I was curious to see if either switching from the S3 or going to ios12 would solve a very pecuiar problem.

Preface: I never put my phone on silent or DnD.

Ever so often (every few days), I will feel my watch haptic vibration and look to see what it was as my phone didn't vibrate or make a noise.

It will be a normal notification like a new email or something - I'll check the swipe up panel and the icon is red. I tap it and it reverts to normal and my notifications go back to normal.

Am I missing a setting or ?

2. roncito macrumors 6502a

roncito

If you have “Cover to mute” on sometimes if you rest your hand or even your other arm it will mute the notifications. You should get a haptic alert when you do. [​IMG]

3. Damn Dirty Ape thread starter macrumors regular

Damn Dirty Ape

I do have that enabled however just covering it now when nothing is coming through doesn't set the bell to red. AM I understanding what you said? When the bell is red I will get the haptic alerts.

4. roncito macrumors 6502a

roncito

That only works as the notification is coming in. So when you start feeling the haptic when let’s say a text message comes in put your palm over it. It will stop the notification and then give you another haptic to confirm it’s on silent.

5. cwanja macrumors 6502a

I tested what roncito was suggesting and it does not just get enabled to by covering it without anything coming into the Watch.

However, to Damn Dirty Ape's original post, I have found maybe once or twice it was enabled by default. I will say that I have found that I can swipe up to control center randomly a few times as well. So that could enable it. First time watch owner as well, so adjusting to having it on my wrist.

6. Damn Dirty Ape thread starter macrumors regular

Damn Dirty Ape

That's the puzzling part, why it enables randomly.