S3 SS V S4 Alu

yui4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2011
i usually upgrade yearly so won’t be paying out for a SS series 4. I’m not a fan of watch screen protectors or cases at all. I have a choice of either a series 3 SS with 10 months apple care remaining or a new series 4 aluminium. Just not sure which would be the better choice?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
i usually upgrade yearly so won’t be paying out for a SS series 4. I’m not a fan of watch screen protectors or cases at all. I have a choice of either a series 3 SS with 10 months apple care remaining or a new series 4 aluminium. Just not sure which would be the better choice?
AppleCare is an important consideration with the Apple Watch, so consider that. Obviously the stainless offers the Sapphire display, which would prevent most scratches and scuff‘s over the Ion-X Glass class with the aluminum.

But do you like the redesign with the Series 4 and larger display? Or Would you be completely content with an older generation Apple Watch given that it will have less health features/display space with the Series 4?

But if I had to make one suggestion, I would opt for the Series 4, A large display is nice to have, the battery life is very good, the 64 Bit dual core processor will updated for years to come with any changes with watchOS as well.

Last edited:

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Honestly I tried switching from SS to Aluminum when I bought my S3 and it just felt ridiculously cheap with the aluminum and lower quality glass, I returned it and bought the SBSS :/. I feel the S4 would be the same, I feel like the ad photos make the size difference way different than it really is.

Reactions: yui4

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I went from a S2 SS to a S3 Al. Definitely was worth it. I loved my SS, but the newer technology is always better. I have a couple small scratches on my S3 screen, but I have learned to not care about it anymore.

Reactions: BillGates1969

brentc133

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
I returned my AW4 Nike LTE and bought a like new AW3 SS with 12 months AppleCare left. Way happier as I originally had a SS AW2 that I sold over a year ago. Aluminum felt too cheap and I was worried about the Ion-X Glass. To be honest I prefer the shape of the AW3 but miss the larger font on AW4 with larger screen. I had fall detection turned off and probably wouldn’t use ECG once I was over the gimmick factor. My used AW3 SS was less than half the cost of AW4 Nike LTE. Maybe next year I will pickup a used AW4 SS.

I also noticed the series 4 SS has less steel case as it doesn’t wrap around the back like series 3.

Last edited:

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
I prefer the stainless steel models because of their durability. Don’t care for screen protectors on my Watch or iPhone. However I don’t upgrade my Watch every year either. I just now upgraded my SBSS S0 42mm to a SBSS S4 44mm. I don’t expect to upgrade this Watch for 2 or 3 years either.

If price is more of a concern to you and you upgrade every year get the aluminum S4.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I started out with a SS S0 loved it and kept it until my insurance company gave me a S3 Aluminum.

I was kind of expecting to hate it, I expected it to feel cheap by comparison. But, I’ve grown to like it. It’s nowh near as fragile as people seem to make out. Mine has actually stayed in better condition than my SS did across the same time frame. There’s not a single mark on the Aluminum case or screen.

I’ve liked it so much that today I take delivery of my 44mm Apple Watch 4, and it’s an Aluminum one.

Reactions: staggerlee41

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010
I started out with a SS S0 loved it and kept it until my insurance company gave me a S3 Aluminum.

I was kind of expecting to hate it, I expected it to feel cheap by comparison. But, I’ve grown to like it. It’s nowh near as fragile as people seem to make out. Mine has actually stayed in better condition than my SS did across the same time frame. There’s not a single mark on the Aluminum case or screen.

I’ve liked it so much that today I take delivery of my 44mm Apple Watch 4, and it’s an Aluminum one.
+1

I had a series 2 SS but I didn’t feel like paying the steep prices for the SS for series 4. I paid $500 some odd for a SS series 2 and the series 4 is at least $150 or so. Nah the aluminum feels nice and light and it’s still in perfect shape except for a micro scratch on that coating

yui4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Ended up with the Nike + cellular edition series 4 with the sport loop. Really happy with it. Thanks for all the advice.