S3 Workout Power Saving duration?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iamasmith, Feb 24, 2018.

1. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

It's getting back to the point where we start going out on long walks and drag the kids along, sometimes we are out for 8 hours at a go and I remember having my S0 die at about 3/4 the walk in previous years walks.

I wonder if anybody here has any observations on the Power Saving option available on Workouts and how much that extends battery life...?

2. Relentless Power, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

With Power Saving mode in the Fitness Application, it disables the heart rate sensor. But being this is a first generation Apple Watch, you would want to make sure you have a hunter 100% battery before a long walk.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The Power Saving option in the Workout app allows you to save some power by disabling the heart rate sensor during long walking and running workouts. Note: your calorie burn estimates might not be as accurate.

I don't think it will get you through an 8 hour walk. You might want to think about using a charging stick and doing a couple of quick charging sessions while taking a quick break or two during your walk.

Dave

4. waw74 macrumors 68040

i went from a s0 to s3 (no LTE)
    my battery life more than doubled.
    went from 15-20% at the end of day 1 to 20-30% at the end of day 2 (worn through the night with no change)
    That is without a workout. so that will be less.

if you got 3/4 of the walk on your s0, a s3 should more than enough juice to make it through,.

5. kpeex macrumors member

kpeex

Theater Mode:On is the best power saver I know of.

6. iamasmith thread starter macrumors 6502

iamasmith

Nobody has actually tried it then? I'll give it a go today.

7. iamasmith thread starter macrumors 6502

iamasmith

OK, I can confirm after a slow 17.5Km walk (kids in tow), total time 4hrs 16mins, with the Workout in Power Save, it burned a mere 23% battery on the watch.

Maybe it's not quite as accurate on calories but I was interested in recording distance mainly for my February challenge.

This is definitely a winning feature for those 8-12hr hikes.