Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
AT&T unlocked my S4 Active. Gave me the unlock pin code of course.

My flight is in a few hours to Europe. Anything I need to be aware of once I receive my international SIM abroad? Anything Settings wise or anything else? Thanks.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Once you get your international sim, you'll replace your AT&T sim with the international carrier one, reboot the phone, it will immediately recognize the foreign sim and ask for unlock code. enter the unlock code, and you then should be good to go, as the phone will then pick up signal from your new temporary international carrier.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Once you get your international sim, you'll replace your AT&T sim with the international carrier one, reboot the phone, it will immediately recognize the foreign sim and ask for unlock code. enter the unlock code, and you then should be good to go, as the phone will then pick up signal from your new temporary international carrier.

Nothing I need to toggle for data in Settings? Anything else?

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I want to text my brother in America with my ATT number when I land. Then I'll get an international SIM. Do I need to make sure data roaming is on for that one text?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I want to text my brother in America with my ATT number when I land. Then I'll get an international SIM. Do I need to make sure data roaming is on for that one text?

You do not need data roaming on for SMS. Make sure you turn data roaming OFF or you will get a stupid bill from AT&T when you get back home.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Just switch the SIM and the phone should automatically change APNs and everything

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Yep it worked thanks. 30 Euros for 400 mins/400 texts/ and 2 GB of data. They call it 3G but it feels HSPA + fast.

Are Verizon phones just as fast data wise when used in Europe?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep it worked thanks. 30 Euros for 400 mins/400 texts/ and 2 GB of data. They call it 3G but it feels HSPA + fast.

Verizon are CMDA are they not, so they wouldn't work with european carriers anyway ?

Where are you in Europe are you blairh ?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

HSPDA+ is 3G. It's just some US carriers deceptively market it as 4G. In Europe HSPDA+ is treated as 3G and only LTE as 4G.

If it picks up decent 3G then yeah it should do. Might not get international LTE but for a short trip it's not big deal really. Enjoy your holiday :D

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Verizon are CMDA are they not, so they wouldn't work with european carriers anyway ?

Where are you in Europe are you blairh ?

On the beach in Pescara, Italy. Lovely place.

Some CDMA phones work on GSM bands too. My uncle is using an unlocked 4S from Sprint with a local Italian SIM.

Anybody can suggest an Android app that can access local FM stations. I'm using an old iPod Nano but my Active would be easier. If I can't get local FM on my Active then maybe I'll try an app that can access Italian radio stations.

----------

HSPDA+ is 3G. It's just some US carriers deceptively market it as 4G. In Europe HSPDA+ is treated as 3G and only LTE as 4G.

If it picks up decent 3G then yeah it should do. Might not get international LTE but for a short trip it's not big deal really. Enjoy your holiday :D

That makes sense. This data I'm getting feels like HSPA+ for sure. Very happy with it. In case anyone was curious the carrier is Wind. Thank you for the well wishes.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm so damn jealous :p

Italian beaches FTW.

Italian guys in tight swim shorts FTW :p

Italy is amazing place, I nearly moved to Siracusa's old town in Sicily to live in 2009... But property boom imploded and now because of negative equity, it marked the end of that for now.....

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
OP, did you get a pre paid SIM? How much was it? Were they easy to come by?

I'm going to be in Germany in the fall to pick up my new car and want to get a prepaid Mifi or something

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
You were taken for a ride imo, TIM would give you same data, double mins/texts for 15€ or 11€ if under 30.

Also HSPA+ is 3G.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
You were taken for a ride imo, TIM would give you same data, double mins/texts for 15€ or 11€ if under 30.

Also HSPA+ is 3G.

Don't need the extra texts or mins.

----------

Italian guys in tight swim shorts FTW :p

Italy is amazing place, I nearly moved to Siracusa's old town in Sicily to live in 2009... But property boom imploded and now because of negative equity, it marked the end of that for now.....

John Siracusa?

----------

I'm going to be in Germany in the fall to pick up my new car and want to get a prepaid Mifi or something

I walked into Wind and asked for a SIM saying I was in town for a month. They showed me a paper with different plans. It was 30 Euros.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011

How much data are you going to need probably? All data plans are flats, but throttled down drastically after more or less than 300 mb per month (I guess data is more important to you than phoning and texting).

You could go with 10€ then.

Keep in mind that there aren't many free Wifi Hotspots here (only McDonalds, Starbucks... the usual suspects).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.