S4 SS chipping on around sensor

Has anyone experienced chipping on their S4?

• Total voters

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Anyone experiencing any chipping on their S4 SS around the sensor? I don't even think it is specific to the SS because all the sensors are the same.

I got my watch for Christmas, I noticed while wiping it down today that there is chipping around the censor. It looks like it is the type of chipping that will spread unfortunately. IMG_1154.jpg

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Take it into an Apple Store to see if they will do anything for you. That portion is sapphire, there shouldn't be any chipping.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Anyone experiencing any chipping on their S4 SS around the sensor? I don't even think it is specific to the SS because all the sensors are the same.

I got my watch for Christmas, I noticed while wiping it down today that there is chipping around the censor. It looks like it is the type of chipping that will spread unfortunately. View attachment 823655
Being The chipping is where your skin would come in a contact in that area, I question if either your sweat is corrosive where it is causing the reaction or the watch is not cleaned regularly, and the dirt/corrosion is causing the chipping. This isn’t the first time I have observed this, another member had a similar problem, and it was due to the fact that their watch was not regularly cleaned and their sweat was causing a reaction, with the chipping being a problem.

Your only solution is allow Apple to determine if they will replace the watch under warranty or not, because the chipping will continue to spread and worsen.

Last edited:

nepatriot

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2018

I got my watch for Christmas, I noticed while wiping it down today that there is chipping around the censor. It looks like it is the type of chipping that will spread unfortunately. View attachment 823655
What kind of strap or bracelet are you using? Do you have a ring on your watch hand?

If you are putting your hand through a bracelet or closed strap, and the opening is tight, the bottom of your watch can catch on a ring.

The surface of SS is soft and easily scratched. Sapphire is much harder, so you would need a very hard ring. Like tungsten. Or a ring with a diamond in it?

Sapphire, while one of the hardest materials, can shatter or chip. Diamond is harder than sapphire.

Until fairly recently, many dive watches, even some of the most iconic pieces by Rolex and Omega, used various forms of plexiglass rather than sapphire. The reason is under pressure, a hit that could glance plexiglass, perhaps leaving a scratch, or worst case a crack, could shatter sapphire. If the sapphire shattered, the seawater would almost always ruin the watch. But that was less of a concern: the diver would not be able to time the rest of their dive. That could be life threatening, depending on the circumstances. A cracked plexiglass might not be deep enough to let water in, and the diver had a better chance. And plexiglass was cheaply and easily replaced.

All of my regular watches on bracelets develop, over time, a series of small scratches, at what looks like a similar angle to where your chip seems to be. About 6 or 7 years ago I lost my 26 year old, very beat up, gold wedding ring. I decided to replace it with something more durable: tungsten steel. I noticed my watch case backs getting more significant and deeper scratches. I'm always careful now when putting on watches to avoid the ring.

Just a thought.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
What kind of strap or bracelet are you using? Do you have a ring on your watch hand?

If you are putting your hand through a bracelet or closed strap, and the opening is tight, the bottom of your watch can catch on a ring.

The surface of SS is soft and easily scratched. Sapphire is much harder, so you would need a very hard ring. Like tungsten. Or a ring with a diamond in it?

Sapphire, while one of the hardest materials, can shatter or chip. Diamond is harder than sapphire.

Until fairly recently, many dive watches, even some of the most iconic pieces by Rolex and Omega, used various forms of plexiglass rather than sapphire. The reason is under pressure, a hit that could glance plexiglass, perhaps leaving a scratch, or worst case a crack, could shatter sapphire. If the sapphire shattered, the seawater would almost always ruin the watch. But that was less of a concern: the diver would not be able to time the rest of their dive. That could be life threatening, depending on the circumstances. A cracked plexiglass might not be deep enough to let water in, and the diver had a better chance. And plexiglass was cheaply and easily replaced.

All of my regular watches on bracelets develop, over time, a series of small scratches, at what looks like a similar angle to where your chip seems to be. About 6 or 7 years ago I lost my 26 year old, very beat up, gold wedding ring. I decided to replace it with something more durable: tungsten steel. I noticed my watch case backs getting more significant and deeper scratches. I'm always careful now when putting on watches to avoid the ring.

Just a thought.
I understand what you are saying but I have no other scratches on the watch. Also, I don’t usually wear rings and if I do they’d go on after the watch is on and before I take the watch off. Because it is the first thing that goes on in the morning and the last thing that goes off before bed.

I would think there’d be more scratches if it was a ring thing. There are no other signs of wear. My daily driver band is a sport loop.
[doublepost=1551300836][/doublepost]
Being The chipping is where your skin would come in a contact in that area, I question if either your sweat is corrosive where it is causing the reaction or the watch is not cleaned regularly, and the dirt/corrosion is causing the chipping. This isn’t the first time I have observed this, another member had a similar problem, and it was due to the fact that their watch was not regularly cleaned and their sweat was causing a reaction, with the chipping being a problem.

Your only solution is allow Apple to determine if they will replace the watch under warranty or not, because the chipping will continue to spread and worsen.
I clean my watch twice a week. Also there are no other areas where there this shows. If my sweat was a problem I’d expect to see more or at least the beginning of pitting and there are none. Also I’m not like a heavy workout person that sweats a lot on a daily basis. The back is pristine.

I’ve had no problems with corrosion on my Cartier or Chanel watches I’ve had them for 20 years.

It appears that area is an overlay of something over metal.