Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roopster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Hi,
I know that if I buy a US series 4 watch that the cellular function won’t work in the UK.
However will the watch be able to function exactly like the GPS version and connect to my U.K. iPhone?
The reason I ask is I want the stainless steel version and there is a great deal at Best Buy for the s4 stainless steel at $499 unlocked vs paying over £700 for a s5 in the UK.
I don’t care about the cellular facility, just want to right look at a decent price!

Roopster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
I have two other questions I hope someone can help with.

The model that is locked to Verizon is $399 rather than $499 unlocked.
As I wouldn’t want to use the cellular facilities at all, and just connect via Bluetooth to my iPhone (on the U.K. carrier) could I just buy the Verizon model? Or does that need to be activated and linked to a Verizon account to work at all?
And I do travel to the US at least once a year. If I get an unlocked version, can I sign up to a non contract cellular provider, get a US number and use the watch as a phone when I am in America? (without connecting it to my iPhone that would be roaming on my U.K. number?)

thank you!

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
You can use an LTE model without activating LTE so it essentially is like a GPS only model. I have not activated my LTE watch. Still on the fence on that. Your connection is via bluetooth and WiFi, just as it is with GPS only models.

As far as I know an unlocked device is not tied specifically to any carrier so it should work with any of US carriers.

Your second question will not work. If I understand what you're asking correct, you are proposing getting a non contract cellular provider to assign a # to assign to your watch to be used as a phone. While connected to your UK roaming iPhone.

Apple Watch is dependent on iPhone. Once activated on a cellular network, it uses your cell phone's number. You would need an iPhone with a US #.

It's still probably a decent deal if you want a Stainless Model at a discounted price but the LTE functionality will likely be useless to you. The Best Buy deals are however going fast.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the watch plans are typically sold as add-ons to a phone plan, so you'll probably not be able to get a stand alone watch plan.

but... current and last years iPhone models have an eSIM, which can be used for traveling.
you can move your home cellular service to the eSim, leaving the regular sim slot is now open for a "travel" sim.
you can also do the reverse, when you get to your destination, go into a shop, and you can get an eSim for your vacation, while still having access to your home sim
https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/...ll-it-change-connected-devices-for-the-better

Reactions: staggerlee41

Roopster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Thanks everyone. I’ve read as much as I can and I think the US carriers (like the U.K. carriers) only support the watch if you have a yearly plan with them. So it would be impossible to sign up for a 30 day sim only contract for the few weeks I’m in the US and add the watch to that - unless anyone knows of one that’s I’ve missed?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Thanks everyone. I’ve read as much as I can and I think the US carriers (like the U.K. carriers) only support the watch if you have a yearly plan with them. So it would be impossible to sign up for a 30 day sim only contract for the few weeks I’m in the US and add the watch to that - unless anyone knows of one that’s I’ve missed?
correct.

but, depending on which phone you have, you can get a second sim, using the eSIM introduced last year.
so your phone can still have your home sim in, but also a data sim for use in the US.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
GPS functions are definitely fine since these depends on your phone's network. Even cellular should work but you won't get as good of a connection as if you used a Euro Apple Watch because the network bands in the US and in the UK are a bit different.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
This seems to come up as a question fairly regularly, though very few people seem to know definitely whether it will work.

However: be aware that Apple US and Apple UK are separate legal entities. There is zero obligation on Apple UK to help you with a watch you bought in the US. I am sure that Apple Store staff will be willing to help so long as you don’t need any help that costs money, but if the unit failed I suspect they would be very reluctant to replace an expensive device like a SS-Watch when they are under no obligation to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.