Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I just realized, I haven't seen any S6 or S6 Edge commercials on TV yet. I recall the S4 commercials being all over broadcast and cable TV. Same with the Note 4. The only place to see an S6 commercial is on Youtube, and they are mediocre.

And yet, the S6 Edge is looking towards been Samsung's biggest seller.

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
I'm pretty sure Samsung does not need to make commercials for the S6 & edge when they're selling like hot cakes.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I've seen them multiple times during the NBA playoffs.

They do the secret agent "they're coming" one and unboxing as well as the one where he uses it as a go pro camera type commercial.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They're trying to reverse their sliding sales, so increased marketing is just one step in that plan. The S6 does look nice, though I'm not so sure I like the edge with the curved display. Looks nice but using it may be another matter.

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
They're trying to reverse their sliding sales, so increased marketing is just one step in that plan. The S6 does look nice, though I'm not so sure I like the edge with the curved display. Looks nice but using it may be another matter.

I have the s6 edge and I like it a lot mainly for looks and at times the edge can be useful!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
In the US here and I've seen an endless amount of S6/Edge exposure. Both in commercials, but also in carrier commercials, special offers, all sorts of stuff.

Samsung is pushing it hard. I see it everywhere. Billboards and posters, too.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
In the US here and I've seen an endless amount of S6/Edge exposure. Both in commercials, but also in carrier commercials, special offers, all sorts of stuff.

Samsung is pushing it hard. I see it everywhere. Billboards and posters, too.

Last night on the Billboard Music Awards show...they used the Galaxy S6 Edge to reveal each winner. So the presenters would walk up on stage with a S6 Edge with a flip cover case then open the case to reveal each winners name. I imagine Samsung paid a LOT for that kind of exposure!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Last night on the Billboard Music Awards show...they used the Galaxy S6 Edge to reveal each winner. So the presenters would walk up on stage with a S6 Edge with a flip cover case then open the case to reveal each winners name. I imagine Samsung paid a LOT for that kind of exposure!

That's the only time I seen it on TV.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've seen a few a number of times on TV over the past month or so.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The product sells itself so there's really no need for commercials. You walk into any phone store with a stand or table full of phones from various manufacturers and it stands out above the rest in initial first impression with design and screen without even touching it. Then, quality of materials, camera, performance, user experience, etc. when you pick it up. Consumers are tech savvy these days so if they want additional info they'll Google for reviews to seal the deal.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm pretty sure Samsung does not need to make commercials for the S6 & edge when they're selling like hot cakes.

The product sells itself so there's really no need for commercials. You walk into any phone store with a stand or table full of phones from various manufacturers and it stands out above the rest in initial first impression with design and screen without even touching it. Then, quality of materials, camera, performance, user experience, etc. when you pick it up. Consumers are tech savvy these days so if they want additional info they'll Google for reviews to seal the deal.
Not really how marketing works. The biggest known brands that own a huge part of the market and have for a long time (let's say Coca Cola and the like) are also the ones that have huge marketing pretty much all the time.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

I thought they were iPhones for quite a while until I recognized a Samsung ad and realized they were sponsors. I wonder how many other people saw iPhones in the presenter's hands. A lot, I bet.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Maybe I'm not the intended audience but commercials have had virtually zero influence on my purchasing decisions. If anything they might make me aware of a product but that's rare considering I often come across it on the internet long before the commercial runs. Apple can come out with the best commercials but I won't consider an iPhone until they overhaul the design and materials, add wireless charging/precision pen, beef up specs to improve the reload issues, update iOS to take advantage of the larger display like with split screen multitasking, etc. Maybe commercials are more effective with the naive.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I thought they were iPhones for quite a while until I recognized a Samsung ad and realized they were sponsors. I wonder how many other people saw iPhones in the presenter's hands. A lot, I bet.
I think you might have been the only one to think that.

----------

This doesn't sound familiar at all. ;)

YouTube: video
gotta give you that one. First time I heard the music i thought it was an Apple commercial!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think you might have been the only one to think that.

----------

gotta give you that one. First time I heard the music i thought it was an Apple commercial!

I'm not going to go on some prolonged diatribe about Samsung copying Apple because, well, who cares? I think it could actually be amusing if the intention was Samsung trolling Apple and the overdramatic Jony Ive videos but I think they were being quite serious.

And the big, glaring error---doesn't everywhere outside of the US actually pronounce Aluminum as Al-u-min-ee-um? Nobody from the UK would ever say it like we do in the US. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Tell that to Samsung marketing team that have targeted over 650 million to market the handsets worldwide. With USA budget close to 100 million in its own.....

No item sells itself. The consumers need to be driven to want and desire a product, to feel a need for it and drive the sale.

If products sold themselves there would be no advertising industry at all.

kdarling

macrumors P6
This doesn't sound familiar at all. ;)

Just like the way Apple's videos look and sound like Rolex's from 2007?

How dare Apple do anything similar! :rolleyes:

The silliest thing about all this, is that Apple's "how it's made" videos were overblown hype to begin with.

Almost every metal watch case on the planet... from Apple's down to $2 ones from China... are forged, milled and polished from blanks that some foundry makes to order.

And 18kt gold is stronger than regular gold, 7000 series aluminum is stronger than regular aluminum, etc.

People with little real world manufacturing experience are often awestruck by common industrial methods, phrases and knowledge. As they should be, I suppose. The world really is an amazing place. But Apple did not invent what they show in their videos, nor are they unique by any means. Not even the accent.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Pretty sure those in marketing were employed by multiple companies through out their careers, and bring their style and ideas along with them.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just like the way Apple's videos look and sound like Rolex's from 2007?

How dare Apple do anything similar! :rolleyes:

Then there's Motorola's videos about their Moto 360 design, from six months before the Apple Watch came out.

They don't contain much industrial stuff, but they do include various accents, talk of honoring horological traditions, and choosing fine materials... all things Apple did later on as well.

The silliest thing about all this, is that Apple's "how it's made" videos were overblown hype to begin with.

Almost every metal watch case on the planet... from Apple's down to $2 ones from China... are forged, milled and polished from blanks that some foundry makes to order.

And 18kt gold is stronger than regular gold, 7000 series aluminum is stronger than regular aluminum, etc.

People with little real world manufacturing experience are often awestruck by common industrial methods, phrases and knowledge. As they should be, I suppose. The world really is an amazing place. But Apple did not invent what they show in their videos, nor are they unique by any means. Not even the accent.

Did I post a video about the watch? Did I even make mention of a watch? :rolleyes:

I never claimed Apple did this style first, but they sure made it popular and synonymous with their brand. Have a bunch of people listen to that commercial or just take off the very beginning and end where Samsung is mentioned and how many immediately associate it with Rolex, or Samsung? How many think it's an Apple commercial? That's my point.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I just realized, I haven't seen any S6 or S6 Edge commercials on TV yet. I recall the S4 commercials being all over broadcast and cable TV. Same with the Note 4. The only place to see an S6 commercial is on Youtube, and they are mediocre.

And yet, the S6 Edge is looking towards been Samsung's biggest seller.

Golden S6 and S6 Edge runs here in the UK ...

kdarling

macrumors P6
Did I post a video about the watch? Did I even make mention of a watch?

*laughing* Okay, I agree. Subtlety is not my strong point today :D

I never claimed Apple did this style first, but they sure made it popular and synonymous with their brand.

Right, Apple simply made "how it's made" videos with an English accent popular again.

Like how they took that filmmaker's "hello" movie clips and made an iPhone version.

And yep, in both cases Samsung saw that it was popular and did one too.

Have a bunch of people listen to that commercial or just take off the very beginning and end where Samsung is mentioned and how many immediately associate it with Rolex, or Samsung? How many think it's an Apple commercial? That's my point.

Well, perhaps this is the difference: us older guys who have seen decades of such commercials don't associate them with anyone in particular. It's all repetitive after a while. Styles come and go, and come again.

OTOH, people to whom it's all new, naturally imprint on Apple like newly hatched ducks.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I've seen them multiple times during the NBA playoffs.

They do the secret agent "they're coming" one and unboxing as well as the one where he uses it as a go pro camera type commercial.

This. multiple times during the same game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.