Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

mar12

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
How much does your battery drain overnight while not wearing the Watch? My new S7 seems to go from 100 down to 90 from 11pm-7am while I’m not wearing it at all. This feels kind of excessive or is it normal?

I remember my S4 used to only go to like 97-98% while not wearing it overnight when it was new.

Thanks

CMoore515

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I don't know cause I wear mine to sleep but mine drains from 100-85 overnight which I think is excessive especially in sleep mode, but idk.

Regarding S4, it didn't have AOD so that would've contributed as well.

mar12

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
I don't know cause I wear mine to sleep but mine drains from 100-85 overnight which I think is excessive especially in sleep mode, but idk.

Regarding S4, it didn't have AOD so that would've contributed as well.
Thanks. I don’t think AOD should have any impact though since the screen is off on while not wearing the Watch

mar12

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
There is nothing wrong with your watch. It is no different than your phone using battery when not actively being used.
I’m not saying I expect it to not drain at all just that it seems like too much especially considering Apple devices sit at 100% for longer than the other percentages lol. If I leave it off the charger overnight from not fully charged I’ll lose 15-20%.

Just seems strange considering my S4 never drained that much?

Reactions: PC_tech

Shadowbech

macrumors 604
Oct 18, 2011
I honestly don’t care and don’t notice. Likely because i have my duo magsafe charger (apple brand) connected to my WEMO Smart plug and I have set an automation to turn on every day at 4:30 am, which will then charge my phone and my watch. I do however set up so that when my iphone reaches 80% the smart plug will turn off. I’ve also set it to turn it back on automatically at 6:01 am daily So that it will finish charging the watch only.

Reactions: sfrangu

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I usually charge mine up before I go to bed as I wear it while I sleep and don't like it sitting on the charger all night. Last night mine drained from 100% to 85% while in sleep mode, which to me seems like way to much. This was from 10pm to 5am this morning.

I think the software in OS8 is a little messed up as it shouldn't be draining this much while in sleep mode.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I usually charge mine up before I go to bed as I wear it while I sleep and don't like it sitting on the charger all night. Last night mine drained from 100% to 85% while in sleep mode, which to me seems like way to much. This was from 10pm to 5am this morning.

I think the software in OS8 is a little messed up as it shouldn't be draining this much while in sleep mode.
It's not like the watch does less when it's in "sleep mode." It doesn't mean the watch is in some kind of a low power mode, it means you are sleeping and the watch is monitoring you while you sleep. Tracling your heart rate, O2 levels, and respiratory rate. So I'd expect the battery to drain at the same rate as it would during the day.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
It's not like the watch does less when it's in "sleep mode." It doesn't mean the watch is in some kind of a low power mode, it means you are sleeping and the watch is monitoring you while you sleep. Tracling your heart rate, O2 levels, and respiratory rate. So I'd expect the battery to drain at the same rate as it would during the day.

Wrong. The screen stays shut off the entire time and doesn’t turn on at all during sleep. It also Its definitely doing less as it doesn’t have any haptics turned on for notifications. The software is definitely messed up.

mar12

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
Yeah I’m pretty sure 8.1 is causing the problems. Terrible update

vAronized

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
Hey there, owning a Series 7 41 mm and observing a similar behaviour. Sending the watch to flight mode and waking up (7 hours later) with a roughly 15 percent battery "loss". A bit too much for my taste, hopefully just a minor issue which will be fixed soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.