S8/S8+ Users ... Most used unlock method. Using the Finger Print sensor any less?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by LIVEFRMNYC, May 14, 2017.

?

Which unlock method do you use the most on the S8/S8+?

1. Still use the Finger Print method the most.

26.1%
  2. Using the Iris method the most.

30.4%
  3. Using Face Recognition the most.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mostly smart unlock while connected to my smartwatch. So I barely need to use an unlock method.

26.1%
  5. I still mostly use a password or pattern unlock.

4.3%
  6. An equal balance of two methods. (ie: FP and Iris about the same)

13.0%
  1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Just like with the Note 7, I found I'm using the Finger Print sensor on my S8+ about 75% less, due to the Iris sensor.

Usually if I'm walking at a quick pace in public, I'll just use the FP to unlock. Also my password manager(Enpass) and some apps only have FP unlock option. But I do use the Iris to enter my secure folder.

But if I'm walking slowly or stationary, I use the Iris the majority of the time to unlock.

I use Smart Lock (bluetooth), with my car but not my smartwatch.

Just curious to see if everyone's unlock method changed or remained the same for the majority of their usage with the S8/S8+.

2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I'd say I use finger print and iris scanner about 50-50. I use iris more when sitting at a desk or at home in a chair. I use the finger print if I'm waking around and pull the phone from my pocket.

I also use the Smart unlock when I'm in my pickup and it's connected to it with Bluetooth. I don't use that with my Gear S3 watch however.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Iris the overwhelming majority of the time. Maybe 90% or so.

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

9/10 times, Smart Unlock ( Gear S3, location based @ home, Audio System in the car ). The rest between Iris and FPS.

5. Aneres11 macrumors 6502a

Pass code. Finger print scanner is total garbage, even with a case that has a dedicated cut out.

Don't like the iris too much and facial recognition was pretty good but it was a bit hit and miss for me.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Garbage, huh?

Tell you what, make a video of the sensor failing to register accurately more than say, 15%.

Mind you I largely depend on the iris sensor, but I can't recall a single instance thus far where the fingerprint sensor has failed me when authentication is being used on websites and in apps. It's trending well above 90% accuracy in fact.

7. Aneres11 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, garbage. And I'll pass on the video I have better things to do with my time. :)

8. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Iris scanning for me MOST of the time. I do use the FPS too...muscle memory has taken over and I cab reach the FPS with left index finger rather easily now...i don't even thing about it. It is probably accurate 95% of the time.

9. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Didn't expect to see that many Smart Unlock w/ smartwatch.

I'm personally too paranoid, if somebody robs me for my phone and watch, they will have access to my phone.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It really depends where I am - at my desk or if I'm carrying the phone I tend to use iris scanner but if I'm out and my phone is in my pocket I use the FPS as I can unlock the phone at the same time I take it out of my pocket

I rarely use smart unlock even though it's enabled as it's quicker to use the iris scanner with a hard press on the home button or the FPS than it is to press the power button and swipe to use smart unlock.

11. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Iris works well in decent light. Use fingerprint otherwise. Positioning has been less intrusive than expected.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's exactly why I don't have it enabled. It's way too easy to defeat smart Lock attached to a watch.

Might be our New Yorker paranoia/pragmatism

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Fingerprint scanner is fun for me. The novelty of it actually working amuses me to no end because the fps on my S7 and S7 Edge so rarely worked and the one on the S8+ works 98% of the time. I use my passcode when the phone is lying flat in the table. My iris scanner works well but for some reason it makes my eyes feel a bit weird so I don't use it except for one of the apps that uses it for payments.

14. Hinds90 macrumors member

I still use the finger print scanner and actually like the new position.

15. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

The new position is growing on me .. I find myself trying to find the finger print scanner on the back of my iphone when i pick it up ... oops.

16. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

I use iris the least even though it works well. If the phone is on a wireless charger or lying on a table, I'll use pattern unlock. If I'm holding the phone, fingerprint most of the time.

Now this got me thinking about winter time (gloves time). If Bixby is working, and you can operate your phone with voice, iris unlocking and navigating around your phone with voice commands could be a magical thing.

17. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Yeah I use a combination of iris and fp. While I wish fp was on the front it hasn't been horrible like some predicted.