SA-CDs from BestBuy.com - How Good are They?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Irishman, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Irishman macrumors 68030

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Do you have a SA-CD player? If not all you get is Redbook (standard CD) playback.

If you have a SA-CD player you can get up to 5.1 HD audio. It uses DSD instead of LPCM. DSD only uses 2 bits (12 db) but at a 2.8224 MHz sampling rate and noise shaping for a 120db dynamic range.

3. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, I understand. I'm looking at picking up an Oppo and have always felt very swept up in good multichannel music demos on good systems I've heard them on. I figured that there is no better time than now to start getting ideas of where to purchase content from.

4. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

Oppo makes great universal players. I've always preferred the Marantz SACD players, but Oppo is quite a bit ahead when it comes to features and how universal the player is. You can't go wrong there.

In terms of music, there a lot of places that sell SACDs online. A great place I've come to know and love is Elusive Disc. They have an extraordinary collection for sale. Most are Hybrid SACDs, but that shouldn't stop you from purchasing them. ;)

5. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

So, hybrid just means they can play stereo in a regular CD player, right?

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you've got a Sony BluRay player, you've got an SACD player. It does sound better but you've really got to listen to a wonderfully mastered album in a dead silent place to hear anything appreciable. Norah Jones' Come Away With Me is a good one as there is a lot of dynamic range. Personally, I'd read reviews on the multitrack mix on albums, especially older ones, as sometimes the early ones were just dreadful.

7. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

Will that work on the PS3, since it's a bdp?

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

A hybrid has 2 layers. A standard Redbook CD layer and the DSD layer. So the answer is yes.

----------

No but I believe the very early PS3 models would but Sony has dropped support.

Basically SA-CD is legacy and only a few independent labels (classical and jazz) release new content on it.

Here is a site that has compete infer on all SA-CD content.

9. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

While Classical music and Jazz are the predominant genres of music given the SACD treatment, it isn't entirely limited to that. SACDs are still being released by numerous amounts of companies, but many of them are Reissue labels (i.e. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab).

May I ask, what is the rest of your system?

10. Irishman, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

It's a work in progress, as we say in the hobby. :)

The display is a Pioneer Elite Pro-111FD 50" I got back when Pioneer announced they were getting out of the PDP market. Sad times, but a great opportunity for buyers then! The AVR is an HTR-5440, one of 2 holdovers from a mid-2000s Yamaha HTiB we picked up that's only still in service because both the AVR and my BDP have analog audio ports! The speakers are the most recently upgraded. They're several standout pieces from Andrew Jones' Pioneer line, primarily the SP-FS52 floor standers, the SP-C22 center (which is frickin' HUGE, and my wife hates the look of it, but appreciates the quality sound coming from it, so she doesn't complain much), and the SP-BS22 monitors for rears. The sub is the other holdover from the Yamaha HTiB and is awful! A true fartbox. The Blu-ray player is the Pioneer BDP-51FD with some amazing Wolfson audio DACs for CD playback. The correct 24p handling and these DACs are the only reasons I tolerate the molasses-slow disc loading and lack of BD Profile 2.0 or network firmware-upgradeability. I have an OTA antenna for HD local broadcasts, a Sony PS3 slim, which we barely use as a BDP, but use more for Netflix and Youtube since Sony added it to its smart features. There's also an Apple TV that we swap back and forth between the downstairs LR TV and the Kuro that we use for Netflix, iTunes rentals, and HBO Go, mostly.

I say all that to say that, the reasons I'm looking at the Oppo BDP-103 are its universal disc playback, faster loading speeds, all along with video playback at least equal to - if not slightly better than - my BDP-51FD

I'm also timing the purchase of the last two major components of the theater - a new AVR and a new sub. For the AVR, I've got it picked out. I'll be going for the Marantz (you thought I was gonna say Pioneer, didn't you? hmmmm...) SR-5008, for its thoughtful audio features, 5 channel pre-outs, easy navigation of FLAC/ALAC files via USB stick on the front USB port and support for 96/24 audio. The sub? I'm getting a great deal on a Velodyne Impact 12. The power, extension and precision in my smallish to mediumish 14 x 19 room will be a huge upgrade over what I have. I know the reputation of ID brands like Hsu, and SVS, and agree with you. Normally, it would be my first choice, but for what I'm getting the Velodyne for, they don't make sense. I'll be installing one at first, placing it on an Auralex Gramma from Amazon to decouple it from the floor joists (remember, we're on the second floor here, and I don't want the windows rattling when I watch Pacific Rim! :) ) If the single Impact 12 goes over well with the Missus - and she's been very understanding of my hobby so far - I'll be adding a second one to smooth out room modes and to take some of the strain off the single Velodyne.

11. tdiaz macrumors 6502

For a format that was first published in 1999, and come on, admit it- it was an attempt to get everyone to re-buy stuff yet again.

It's a niche in a niche now.

The Audiophile purists will claim there is a difference.

Yes, and there may very well be.

But if it takes the equivalent of a perfectly formed acoustic friendly room.. and high dollar equipment, then the point has been missed.

12. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

Perhaps this can be a given. I would do research to justify if you wish to invest into certain SACDs yourself, Irishman. It really is a niche market as tdiaz has mentioned, but if you find delight in it, then by all means invest into that happiness. :)

13. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Dark Side Of The Moon on SACD sounds amazing, but that's more because it was designed for quadrophonic sound, so 5.1 sound suits it well.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Controversial can of worms since it was remixed for 5.1 and didn't use the Alan Parsons quad mix.

----------

Great choice for inexpensive speaker. No one can stretch a dollar (or Yen) farther for super sound quality than Jones.