Sabotage on iTunes by competition

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by topapps, Feb 22, 2009.

1. topapps macrumors newbie

I downloaded a new game yesterday called Snake XT. I love snake games, and have 5 on my iphone, but this one is the best by far. Today my friend was getting it told me about 1* lousy reviews. We noticed that it was posted by a real snake competitor.

There should be a way that this cheater reviews dont affect the ranking of apps. I am writing my own app, and I know that when it comes out my scum competition try to fme.

Apple needs to change the reviews work so they can be challenged!! If not who can we trust??

2. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

the only way to review an app is to buy it, so the developer is still getting the money, all though the reviews may slow down sells of that app

3. fedup flyer macrumors regular

As opposed to some of the developers that write their own raving reviews for a crap product. Like the one guy with a mileage log program that could not understand why we wanted the actual odometer reading (for IRS tax deduction purposes.)

4. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I had this happen to me and my app, 100sounds. This reviewer was posting bad reviews for numerous competing apps, including freebies, and then posting glowing reviews for his own apps. On top of that, he posted comments like "You should buy XYZ" and "XYZ is much better" in those bad reviews (XYZ being his app).

He did such a bad job of hiding his identity that I googled his iTunes ID and could see he was the developer of XYZ, as if the comments left any doubt.

I learned where he went to school, what clubs he belonged to, speaking engagements, what newspapers and magazines (even Wired!) he'd been written up in, etc.

So I posted on one of the forums where he announced his app, calling him out. The moderator and others got involved and blasted the guy. Then, without admitting anything, some of his posts and reviews were edited to remove some incriminating details (but not all). No public acknowledgement though.

I then posted some details to show I knew exactly who he was, and mentioned how this might be an interesting story to some of those newspapers and magazines plus app review sites where I know the owners... I also mentioned that Apple might be interested. Quickly, he created a new account on the forum, posted and apology, blamed it on an employee, and changed his reviews to be just two words and 5 stars.

It sucks, but this review system is like the wild west. There's no security. If you need any help tracking someone down, let me know. I believe in karma... but sometimes you have to give it a little push.

5. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

Maybe this sort of juvenile review sniping will be the chemo that cures The Cancer That is Killing The App Store. There seems to be a general lack of decorum both in the apps themselves, and some of the devs.

6. topapps thread starter macrumors newbie

You are my hero

=====================
    It would be nice to be able to confront all the jerks, cheaters, and low life's that have to bring others down instead of improving themselves to compete on a higher field.

Congratulations for what you did. Apple should have a review dept to check fraudulent reviews!!!