Sacrifice MacBook Pro for iPhone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samtb, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Is it worth sacrificing savings for a MacBook Pro to buy the next iPhone if you currently have an iPhone 5 and a 5 year old windows laptop?

2. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Extremely subjective, none of us are going to be able to answer this.

3. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You tell us, it's your call not ours. I guess it depends if you want a new phone or new computer first and foremost. Strange question...

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not worth it. The rMBP is way more functional than an iPhone. Jut use a phone for what it's supposed to be - call and text. Besides, your current iPhone can do everything that newer iPhones can do, albeit at a slower speed.

For everything else, do it on your rMBP.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you need a new phone that will satisfy a major requirement, or do you need a computer over a phone? Worth is subjective we cannot say what is better because both products are so different.

You don't mention what you use the computer for, so a 5 year old laptop may be adequate for your needs, or may not be. The iPhone 5 is a find phone and may last a few more years while you get a new laptop.

If it was me, I'd opt for the laptop over the phone because the iPhone 5 is a bit newer and I can do more with a new laptop then a 5 year old one.

6. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

Get the MacBook. It has a lot longer live span than the iPhone and you'll be really excited finally getting rid of that Windows Laptop!

7. slight32 macrumors member

1. Do you take lots of important photos with your phone?
    2. Is the iPhone 6 much better at that than the iPhone 5s?

If no to 1, get the MBP
    If Yes to 1 & 2 then a new phone.

This is if you use a laptop for browsing and a little work. Upgrade this if you can, more RAM and an SSD will work wonders.

8. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

You should post this question in the iPhone section here! Here you will find all MBP fanboys who would never say to go for an iPhone over a rMBP !! Having said that IMO an iPhone or for that matter any smart phones in current date still can't fully take place of a Computer !! Period !! What do you want to do you decide ! But don't compare a phone with a lean, mean, F******G Machine ! It is like comparing a two wheeler with a four wheeler !! Way...way different !!

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

10. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

You might as well wait for the 6s, it's only a few months away and will no doubt be faster & smarter than the 6, you'll probably be kicking yourself if you rush into a purchase now = buy the macbook.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why do you need a new iphone?
    What macbook do you have?

12. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have a MacBook. Also, I could get a lower ssd capacity MacBook Pro or an air or new MacBook instead. That way I'll be able to get the MacBook and a new iPhone. What do you think?

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If your needs are light (iWork, Office, Spotify, web browsing, YouTube, some light video editing), a MacBook Air would do you fine.

I wouldn't suggest an iPhone at this stage. We're too close to the announcement of the next iPhone.

14. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Which ssd capacity? When I get 512gb, the price becomes similar to the pro. And should I get the next iPhone as well when it comes out?

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Just stick with a 1.6/8/256 variant of the MacBook Air. If you're going to use it in clamshell mode all the time, the 11" would do. Otherwise, go for the 13".

Don't get the iPhone now. Get the next generation iPhone when it comes out.

512GB is quite a lot of storage if you know how to use it properly. My late-2013 13" rMBP (i7/16/512) still has 430GB free after over a year of usage, but that's probably because I store all my media (Photos library, iTunes library and my RAW shots from my 5D Mk3) in external storage (two cheap 1TB WD Blue drives in a cheap USB-SATA3 enclosure with UASP support). One of the drives is a backup of the other drive.