Sacrificing the Ethernet Port

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I know it has been done with the Air though can it be done with the Pro and Mini and at what cost. Would Apple do it for thinness?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I hope not, I use the ethernet port. wifi's bandwidth comes no where near the speeds of gigabit ethernet.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
yes, they can do it. Maybe they invent something new, like a mini-ethernet port, to screw people up a bit more.

For the Air it seems that one can use a Ethernet to USB adapter... the same will work on a Pro and any other computer ;)

NeedMoreVideo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Except that USB is is 400mbps (peak) and usually 1/3 of the sustained while Gigabit Ethernet is 1000mbps sustained sure...

I could see them make it a thunderbolt dongle though in the future for the non-pro models.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Except that USB is is 400mbps (peak) and usually 1/3 of the sustained while Gigabit Ethernet is 1000mbps sustained sure...

I could see them make it a thunderbolt dongle though in the future for the non-pro models.
I'm not saying that it's a good idea to get rid of the ethernet port. But they removed it from the air, and if they really want to make the MBP thinner, then it will have to go.

The next MBP is expected to have USB 3.0, since it's natively supported by the Ivy Bridge CPUs. So the speed wouldn't be a problem, unless they only give us one 3.0 port and you want to use it for an external HD.

ray648

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
I could see them removing it from the macbook pro, but I don't think there is any way it will disappear from the mini any time soon. Ethernet ports make a lot more sense on desktops anyway and the laptop people will be able to get it via thunderbolt if they want to.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I've been to places where WiFi is not an option, I definitely need ethernet. The MBP is thin enough, making it thinner won't squeeze it anywhere it couldn't go before. No need to remove any ports and achieve nothing.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
I hope not unless there is an alternative that works with Gigabit Ethernet. USB 2 Ethernet 100 Megabit adapter is not an alternative.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
MBP is a pro machine. Wouldn't make any sense to sacrifice performance for space, not to mention there isn't muh more you can save out of removing the Ethernet port. If I want to save space, I would have gone for an Air instead.