Sad Day For My IPP 10.5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jaeb0922, Jul 20, 2018.

1. jaeb0922 macrumors 6502

jaeb0922

Welp, its official. My IPP 10.5's screen is spider webbed. No clue how either. I am meticulous with my machines, have it in a case, etc. SUCKS! I have it on Sprint and it is paid for. No financing is on it. So, just looking for opinions here.

I use the IPP daily for business and pleasure, more than my IPX actually so I would loe to get a screen replacement. After looking them up, without AppleCare, Squaretrade, etc.... its at least 300 bucks it appears and thats third party. Is that correct? If so, should I just throw a new glass screen protector on it and wait for the new IPP? I was hoping it would have been released by now anyways, HAHA. Might sell on eBay and step up to a 12.9?

If I cant find a screen replacement for less than 200, Im not sure what I want to do. I cant justify spending 3 to 400 on a device that will be replaced shortly especially seeing its going for 650 for my model in some spots, as well as Apple having a discount to get free beats with a purchase.

In any case, Im venting. LOL. Opinions for a bored chatter anyone?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Depending how you paid for it, if you used a credit card, sometimes there is insurance with purchases like that, so that’s an option if feasible. Being the iPad Pro’s could be likely this fall, perhaps add a screen protector for the time being if that is something that you would consider being you want to possibly upgrade and if they don’t launch by October/November, then I would exercise different options being 2019 would be a wide-open arrange for the iPad Pros to launch.

Also, Obviously if you decide to sell it broken, that will also significantly hurt the value.

3. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

Always get AppleCare+ for an iPad Pro. Even more so for the 12.9” model. The out-of-warranty costs are insane.

4. CrazyForCashews macrumors regular

What does this mean?

5. chrfr macrumors 604

The glass broke.

6. kristalsoldier macrumors 6502

kristalsoldier

More precisely, the glass cracked. What is interesting is that the OP says it was in a case and carefully handled. So that leaves the question, how did the glass crack in that way?

7. AlexJoda macrumors 6502

AlexJoda

If it’s less than a year old get AppleCare+.....

8. aakshey macrumors 6502a

aakshey

Has to be the first 30 or 60 days (not sure which). And is illegal now after it’s busted.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

First 60 days.

10. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Always? No.

One must assess their own experiences with their gadgets and determine what the likelihood is that they would need AppleCare. My adult daughter is a bit careless and drops her i-devices (what seems like) once a day. SHE definitely needs AppleCare.

Of the dozens of Macbooks, iMacs, iPods, iPads, and iPhones that I've purchased over the years, I never purchased AppleCare for any of them, and not once in all that time for any of those devices would I have been able to take advantage of AppleCare. I've saved well over $2000 in total over that time by NOT buying AppleCare, or AppleCare+.

Be wise people.

11. chabig macrumors 601

Either it was stressed beyond its capability, or it was black magic. You decide.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I don’t always buy Apple care plus. It depends on how much the device costs and how much it would cost to replace. I have insurance for my MacBook, iPhone X, iPad Pro and Samsung Galaxy S9 plus. I have a toddler so there is a likelihood of it getting damaged.

I don’t have insurance for my iPad mini, Apple Watch or HomePod because they are not very expensive and and I can replace those and not really feel miserable about spending the money.

I’ve not used it yet.

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Same. Never bought extended anything for any of my Apple devices over the last several years, and have never needed it. So if I go over and slam my iPhone down on the hardwood floor and destroy the screen, I’d still be in the black. Sometimes it’s just not worth it.

My brother tends to leave his phones in his pants pockets and throw them in the wash, so he always gets Apple Care. Different strokes for different folks.

14. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Spider webbed. That's a new one on me....
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2018 ---
    Maybe the OP looked at it and asked who the fairest of them all is?
    Sounds like the OP just needs to purchase another one.

15. AlexJoda macrumors 6502

AlexJoda

This is not the case here in Germany....(1 year)

16. Expobill macrumors 6502a

Try fixing the IPP, they must have replacements screens on ebamazone or that local kiosk merchant with 6 fingers.
    One one hand.
    Ya know, maybe that guy who saws rowboats in half and glue em back should make a clean adhesive for such tradegies.

17. jaeb0922 thread starter macrumors 6502

jaeb0922

To be honest, I think it’s faulty as where the spider web started, is on the bottom corner, which usually would indicate a drop. It was never dropped though. Back to why I feel it’s faulty...

I had a white spot on my original iPad Pro 10.5 and had to bring it in a few months back for a replacement. Obviously I was given a refurb, as standard.

Now fighting that? I doubt I’d win so not sure what I’ll do. Sad for my iPad though. WOMP.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Wow that's great. Wish we had that here in the UK.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Then if you think it’s ‘faulty’, then why not at least allow Apple to inspect the device to determine if they believe that there was a point of impact on the display that may or may not have caused the spider webbing. You have nothing to lose at this point given it’s already damaged and _if_ they tell you they are not covering it, then you would move forward like you would have anyways with other options.

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I would be interested to see the corner of your iPad where this started. Can you post a picture?

21. AlexJoda macrumors 6502

AlexJoda

Sorry, but I have to correct my own post. 1 year afterwards is only for AppleCare and not for AppleCare+.....

22. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Was going to point that out, thanks for the update.

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Pictures? Spiderweb crack sounds like some kind of impact damage.

24. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Don’t people cover these devices via house insurance?

25. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68000

BugeyeSTI

Exactly. I know Apple has no issues warranting a display that has a single crack with no spiderwebing...
    Maybe there’s a deductible involved when making a claim like this that would negate the benefit?