Sad day - selling the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vastoholic, Aug 27, 2010.

1. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Money has been tight these last few months after I lost my job and have been stuck on unemployment since April. Especially since they are so inconsistent. Finally had to make a sacrifice and sell the iPad. I plan on buying it again after my deployment and I'm back on my feet again, and I'll be getting whatever the Mac storage is at that time. Not looking for sympathy or anything. Just sayin. Cool story bro type thing.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I was looking for a job for about 6 months, and I know how tough it can be
    I landed a great job and I am better off than I was before, so hang in there

The iPad is great, but you do what you have to do
    And you will be ready for a new version when it comes out anyway

Thoughts are with you... hang tough

3. saunterer macrumors newbie

I feel you man. I've been in similar situations myself, having to sell off stuff to pay rent. It sucks, but in the end I've always managed to pull through. Hang in there and good luck!

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Things will get better, just hang in there. It's sad about the iPad, but if you think about it, now you have been able to test a "magical" first generation device and then buy the 2nd generation one and enjoy it maybe even more. :)

Good luck on your deployment as well. Thanks for your service.

5. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

My First Post

Well, this is my first post and I'm using it on you good buddy ;)! I too have been mostly unemployed over the last few years and like the first responder I have now landed a SWEET gig.

I remember selling my Wii in Oct. 09, so I definitely know how you feel. However, you'll be back and better than before... it's almost guaranteed!!!

Best wishes!!!

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

@vastoholic

You might want to try: www.state.gov mate. They are hiring for some positions.

7. vastoholic thread starter macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Thanks! I'll check into it. I'm moving back to Oklahoma after afganistan to finish up a computer science degree. It's been hard right now because I had a few phone interviews but I had a pending military school that has changed dates 2 times now. I could have had a job by now if I'd have known it would be pushed back all the way till October.

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Don't feel bad... I had to sell my house!!!

Look at it from this perspective: You'll get the iPAD 2.0 when it comes out, without feeling guilty about it.

I had to sell my house 3 months before I lost my job (good thing I was able to see it coming!). And it was all luxury; I preferred to sell it rather that loose it to the bank later.

I've been self employed since then, since December 2007.

So now I'm starting to get back on my feet, opened my own company and rented at first, then bought a small apartment; maybe later I'll buy another home. I've got 2 storages packed with my stuff!

Consider this a good chance to downsize and start on a solid foundation; it takes some sacrifices now, but later you'll be smiling wide open.

Best wishes to you!

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Hey dude. Realized that I did not wish you good luck. Sorry about that. Hope things work out for you....

We'll keep and iPad or two on ice for you until you are ready. :)

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

In the same position as you but I'm not going to sell the iPad as it better allows me to search for jobs. I did however sell my watch, couch, TV, and car (I'm in NYC now so I don't need a car) but yes... no kidding I am flat out broke.
    I am searching a lot on monster.com, try that it may help. Only thing I am left with now is school, unpaid internship, and my loving and caring wife (for whom I am extremely grateful).

11. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

+1

Best post ever. Nice one dude.

12. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I'm still unemployed, but I have a decent Internet job that pays the bills. I can't really buy anything until I get a job though. ;)

13. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

It saddens me knowing how much sacrifice I did to buy my iPad and having to sell it for economical reasons:(

Good luck:)

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sorry to see your situation and need to sell your iPad.

Looking forward to hearing about when you get on your feed again and purchase a new iPad. :)

Behind every successful man is a loving and caring women. :)

15. SilverL macrumors member

Dude.
    PM Me... did you sell your iPad already?
    Ill buy it off you even though I have one. I'm sure I know one of our troops who could use an iPad to browse mac rumors;)

16. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

That is anything but cool. Keep your chin up mate, better times ahead (I say that with my fingers crossed as I am about to finish university and move back to Europe without knowing if there will be a job there for me).

17. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

That's not true. Some dudes are successful without anyone behind them and sometimes a loving and caring woman can water down a guy and ruin him. But yes, sometimes.

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

Lol... a man is nothing without his wife :)

Agreed :)

Well thanks for the offer but there is no way I am selling my iPad. It actually is useful in coping with the stock market (even though that is a blunder and probably the heaviest sack on my back right now).

19. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

#1rule always save as twice as much as you spend. Good luck on the job

20. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Good luck Son, and thank you for your service to our Country;)

21. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I know how hard things are out there. Hang in there and things will work out! Like others have said, the next version, when you're on your feet, will be even better.

Your service to our country is appreciated.

22. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Vastoholic, your post really moved me. I know that you'll eventually land a new and hopefully interesting job, allowing you buy whatever you need to make life go around smoothly.

Godspeed!

23. TW!SM macrumors regular

Feel for you man. Keep your head up.

This story and others in the thread are why I have told my wife that we live off one income. I never want to lose my house. I can't imagine.

24. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

25. ajax43 macrumors regular

I feel ya bro. I had to sell my 97 Harley Sportster 1200. Man I loved that bike....:(