Sad face on iPod, will replacing battery help? and iPod nano keeps freezing :-(

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Amy2005, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

Hi
    My friends iPod has had a sad face on it for a while now. I did manage to bring it back to life a few months ago using the 5r's off the apple support site, but it soon when back to the sad face. Is it a serious issue, or would just replacing the battery help?

Their nano has also broken the screen has gone strange at the top (see pic)
    [​IMG]
    and when i reset it by toggling hold and pressing play/pause & select, the screen then goes quite fuzzy. the ipod also frequently locks up. is there anyway i can fix it, or is it pretty much broken?

Thank you
    Amy :)

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm pretty sure that a sad iPod face means it's a hardware problem :(. And for the Nano, when you restart it, is the top of the screen still gone when the black screen with the Apple logo in the middle comes up?

3. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the quick reply :)
    I've sorted the iPod photo for now, its back and the sad face has gone :) it will be back i'm sure tho lol.

When the black screen with apple logo is on the nano still has a white line at the top.
    [​IMG]
    Its there all the time and usually when the main screen is on there is some blurred writing in the white bar, like the name of the menu (eg albums) or the time. This isn't there every time i turn on the nano tho, and when i do toggle on and off the screen goes almost totally, with the small bar still and the top and a about half of the screen (from the bottom to the middle) is blank too and it locks up again then too.

Thank you
    Amy :)

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What might have happened to the Nano is that the display cable was jarred and came out a bit, or that's what I think happened right now, if it's not a display problem.

5. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you :) is it safe for me to somehow take off the back cover and try and put the display cable back in if i find out which cable it is?

Thanks again :)
    Amy

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can use this ifixit guide, it's on how to get to the iPod Nano screen.

7. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you :) I'll give that a go if i get the currage too lol, or i'll ask my dad to give it a go :)

Thanks again
    Amy