Sad ipod face

Discussion in 'iPod' started by muffinman, Jun 26, 2007.

1. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

I have a second generation ipod mini (6 gb). While listening to music, the screen suddenly froze. Now whenever I turn it off, the apple logo comes up and then the sad ipod face. It is a hardware problem.

It does not restore and does not update, nor can it be put into disk mode.

I have no warranty anymore and I dont really want to pay for a genius to fix it.

Is there anyway to fix this problem? Like opening it up? Anywhere I could find a step by step tutorial on how to fix this?
    Thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have found with my older iPods 4th gen that a firm slap of the back with an open palm has fixed this issue. Then a complete format and reinstall would prevent it happening again for a reasonable time.

3. muffinman thread starter macrumors 6502

muffinman

I have already looked there. It does not update and restore and does not go into disk mode. As the apple support site says, the only other step is to take it to an apple genius. Since my warranty is up, genius work is not covered and will cost money.

I have tried slapping it on the back. That too does not work.

I think the only way is to open up the ipod. Does anyone know of a site that has a step by step walkthrough?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This site will give you instructions on how to replace the battery and gives a video. I have found in the past that the harddrive connection can become loose and give rise to the sad pod face.

5. muffinman thread starter macrumors 6502

muffinman

I opened it up and pressed down on the harddrive connection and then reassembled it. It still has the face. Could there be any other problem causing this?