Sad iPod is Sad :(

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Nick012, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Nick012 macrumors regular

Last night my iPod 4g 20gb gave up the ghost :(
    It froze every couple of days for 2 weeks before this and the HD had started making the tell tale sounds of failure. However, I'm still upset that it broke. I'm gonna have to buy a new one (I guess I'll wait for the new ones) but this means that now I'm tethered to my PC at work (put some music on a DVD this morning) and I'll have to hear all the inane chatter on the train going home.
    Theres no real pouint to this thread except to express how reliant I was on my iPod. I never realised until it was gone. :(

2. bartelby macrumors Core

My G4 iPod dies every 6 weeks or so, exclamation mark or Sad iPod icons.
    I give it a quick smack as it resets, the restore it and resync. Then away I go for another 6 weeks.
    It's a pain but until it dies totally it gives me time to save for a new one...

3. Nick012 thread starter macrumors regular

the problem is that my computer won't mount it anymore, so I can't restore it. All it does is have that sad ipod icon. Any advice? (apart from smacking it which I tried)

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Press and Hold the MENU and SELECT buttons for 10 seconds to reset it. If that doesn't fix it, repeat the above but when you feel the HD spinning up press and hold REW and SELECT. This will put the iPod in diagnostic mode. A kist of tests will appear. You can not hurt anything by running them. Best wishes.

Edit: Toggle the HOLD switch on and off just to make sure it is not stuck.

5. Redline13 macrumors 6502

The forth generation iPod is notorious for having the hard drive cable come loose. When it does it mimics the symptoms of a dying hard drive. I would open it up and check it out before you decide to get a new one. It is located in the upper corner. This sounds exactly like what has happened to bartely's iPod also.

6. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

You need to buy a shuffle just to cheer yourself up and hold you over until the new iPods are released. :D

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I was just thinking the same thing!

I shall perform open iPod surgery later...

Cheers..

8. nigrunze macrumors regular

My brother has a 30 GB 4G iPod Photo that always either shows a sad iPod or folder icon. Most of the time, it's the sad iPod. He tried restoring it but it failed, so it sounds like it might be what Redline said that the HDD cable might be loose.

Here's what happens. I turn on the iPod, it shows the :apple:, and then it shows the Sad iPod/Folder Icon while the HDD makes faint whirring noises. If I hold Select and Play/Pause for a really long time(having it plugged into the USB power supply helps as it automatically resets when the iPod turns off), it eventually goes into disk mode. Same goes for the diagnostics menu(Back and Select). I can't mount it in iTunes.

Are there any home tools that we can use to safely open up the iPod to make sure that everything's hooked up properly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.