SAD LITTLE Christmas MAC Story HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by strutkitty, Dec 27, 2010.

1. strutkitty, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010

strutkitty macrumors newbie

So i'm not computer savvy BUT i've always owned Macs (for the last 20 years)...when i was diagnosed with MS i bought one last Mac (a huge ...well huge back then G5)...it was the first one the store in Ohio ever sold...i love it! BUT now i live in Northern Nowhere North Dakota...now my daughter (15) has to use it too!...ok i saved up all friggin year to buy her a big ipod for Christmas...she couldn't believe it! (i mean i'm on a fixed income and retired from teaching for 10 years now so she knows "poor")...ANYWAY it won't work!!! and i don't know what to do?!?!...this is my computer...it says it's Max OS X Version 10.3.9 Processor Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 Memory 1 GB DDR SDRAM...it WON"T LET ME DOWNLOAD itunes 10.1 which is the ONLY thing that will work with the new ipod i got her...my itunes is 7.7.1...do i have to buy something like osx 10.4???? can i put that on my mac???...i don't want to spend $ and it then won't work?!?!?

HELP HELP HELP
    listen...i'm figuring this is the christmas season and i'm BEGGING to find out what to do!!!......my email is cat.dancing.on.moon@gmail.com
    i'm in NORTH DAKOTA there are no apple stores here or any apple help within 200 miles...i live on a very rural farm
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to ANYONE out there who can point me in the right direction or tell me that NOTHING will work and i'm stuck or SOMETHING to make this NOT the worst christmas ever!
    Chesh

2. adamlbiscuit, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

I'm really sorry to have to tell you this, but the new iPods all require iTunes 10 which will only work on Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Is your current mac the G5? If so it should be able to run 10.5 nicely. Once you get 10.5 on there you'll be able to download the latest iTunes and your daughters iPod can then be set up.

Some handy advice would also be to never give out phone numbers on the internet. E-mail is somewhat ok, but you never know who'll end up ringing you if you put your phone number on the world wide web for all to see.

3. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

Ouch! Unfortunately iTunes 10 will only work on machines that have OSX 10.5 or above.

The good news is if there is someone nearby with a Windows PC, you can get them to activate it for you. (doesn't have to be a mac fortunately in this case)

The issue remains, if you want to sync music etc you'll need to have a newer OSX to do it on. It may be time to look at upgrading. I've done some googling for you, there are a few other links you can check out but it all ends in itunes needed:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101222133620AAOGaE8

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I'd like to offer another suggestion which may or may not work...

Download "YamiPod":
    http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/
    It's "donationware" (free unless you care to submit a donation).

It's a 3rd party iPod manager which _might_ be able to see your iPod withOUT having to use iTunes (NO promises on this).

It's worth a try before you go through an entire system software installation.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions but, as has previously been said. For goodness sake, edit your original post to amend (or, preferably delete) your email address by replacing the periods with the word "dot". If you don't, you will be running the risk of spammers collecting it and thereafter pestering you!

6. strutkitty thread starter macrumors newbie

Pathetic christmas thanks but one more>>>>

OK OK i'll go buy 10.5 BUT NOW apple says i have to buy 10.4 and THEN buy 10.5...BUT others say "full install" 10.5 and i don't have to buy 10.4 first?!?!?
    i'm SOOOOO confused!!!
    and all this $$$ for a $100 ipod!! (that she might lose LOL)
    SIGH
    so...CONCENSUS....10.4 AND 10.5 OR just full install 10.5...AND if i get full install 10.4 do i JUST need and upgrade mini for 10.5 or the FULL install????
    THANK YOU!!!!!!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. Dalton63841, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Sad Little Christmas

Sorry to hear about your Christmas problem. I know all about being low income.
    BTW...Don't we all love Apple's forced upgrading? lol

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

For crying out loud, we're MR! Surely we can don one of two things:

-Send her 10.5 - I'm looking right now. If I can find mine I will just send it to you (its retail).

-Find an older version of iTunes for her.

Ack! We're supposed to be some of the best tech and Mac people here...I think if we band together we can solve her problem.

Who is with me here??

-P

10. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

11. Dalton63841, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010

Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

The iPod apparently requires iTunes 10, which requires Leopard.