Sad. Really sad.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Bought a 15" MacBook Pro from Apple this week in store. Came with High Sierra pre-loaded.

2+ months after Mojave comes out and they are still selling stock with the old OS!!

Diazepam

Suspended
Nov 24, 2018
Given that Mojave just came out (and is going to have bugs), it's not a bad thing. I don't know specifically how Apple does it, but in the tech industry in general, people wait till a piece of software/hardware matures before it is adopted on a large scale. High Sierra is the latest "stable" OS at this point, so it makes sense to ship Macs with High Sierra.

Plus, the piece you bought may have been packaged and sealed before Mojave even came out.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Bought a 15" MacBook Pro from Apple this week in store. Came with High Sierra pre-loaded.

2+ months after Mojave comes out and they are still selling stock with the old OS!!
A buddy of mine just purchased one of the Vega 20 models (against my advice, at least until further review hahaha) and it came with Mojave 10.14.1 installed. But maybe only the Vega models and BTO aren't still from existing stock?

Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Why is that sad? I have a 2018 MBP and I'm on HS, in fact I'd rather have HS rather then Mojave. I've not been pleased with some of the issues I've heard and it doesn't really add much in terms of new features. The biggest selling point is a dark theme, if a new theme is the major update, then I'll pass.

If you're intent on wanting Mojave, then its an easy process to upgrade, so in both cases, its really a win-win and I'm not seeing how its sad

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland

It's really sad, that you did not think your question through :oops:

Why would Apple unpack, hundreds of thousands, Macbooks, iMacs, iPhones, iPads to do an update, and repackage them ?
there is no company in the world who does that :rolleyes:

Royksöpp

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
Why is that sad? I have a 2018 MBP and I'm on HS, in fact I'd rather have HS rather then Mojave. I've not been pleased with some of the issues I've heard and it doesn't really add much in terms of new features. The biggest selling point is a dark theme, if a new theme is the major update, then I'll pass.

If you're intent on wanting Mojave, then its an easy process to upgrade, so in both cases, its really a win-win and I'm not seeing how its sad
Agreed. High Sierra is one of the most stable releases to date. I don't like the dark theme. I don't care for stacks or quick actions. Dynamic desktop? Kid stuff. I plan to keep High Sierra for the time being. From now on I'll just wait for the sequel of Mac OS upgrades.
[doublepost=1543494014][/doublepost]

Your computer was manufactured prior to the release date of Mojave. The Vega models as well as any other machines produced after October will have Mojave installed. That's how it's always been.

Donnation

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Dude, wtf are you talking about? Do you think that Apple is going to open up all their stock, load Mojave, then reseal them and package them back up as new? I see a lot of complaints here regarding Apple. Many of them justified, this one is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Not sad, Vega models were recently packaged and sealed with the latest and greatest that’s why I bought one. The sad part is I have to wait for it to ship but smile :)

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Bought a 15" MacBook Pro from Apple this week in store. Came with High Sierra pre-loaded.
2+ months after Mojave comes out and they are still selling stock with the old OS!!"

I don't have any problems with this at all.
High Sierra is a "mature" version of the OS. Just about all the bugs have been worked out.

Mojave, on the other hand, still seems like "a work in progress".

I'd rather have HS on mine.
But... that's just me.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Dude, wtf are you talking about? Do you think that Apple is going to open up all their stock, load Mojave, then reseal them and package them back up at noon? I see a lot of complaints here regarding Apple. Many of them justified, this one is just ridiculous.
Agreed, especially when you consider that they give customers the latest OS's for free.

Reactions: Diazepam

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If the worry is that you didn’t get a “freshly baked” unit, why worry? Other than the Vega models nothing has changed between the one you picked up and one that would be built today for that same spec, other than Mojave, which you can upgrade to at any time and at no additional cost.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Given that Mojave just came out (and is going to have bugs), it's not a bad thing. I don't know specifically how Apple does it, but in the tech industry in general, people wait till a piece of software/hardware matures before it is adopted on a large scale. High Sierra is the latest "stable" OS at this point, so it makes sense to ship Macs with High Sierra.

Plus, the piece you bought may have been packaged and sealed before Mojave even came out.
Any machine built after Mojave was released has it preloaded. You missed the point.

Then it was probably manufactured before Mojave was released. They're not going to take it out the box, install Mojave and re-seal it!
No of course they aren’t going change what was loaded. The point is that 2 months later there is still stock out there with the old build. They are not turning over stock very quickly on the MacBook Pro.

It's really sad, that you did not think your question through :oops:

Why would Apple unpack, hundreds of thousands, Macbooks, iMacs, iPhones, iPads to do an update, and repackage them ?
there is no company in the world who does that :rolleyes:
Right
Over
Your
Head

The point was that they still have stock of machines produced that long ago. Apple isn’t turning their inventory at a good pace.

Dude, wtf are you talking about? Do you think that Apple is going to open up all their stock, load Mojave, then reseal them and package them back up at noon? I see a lot of complaints here regarding Apple. Many of them justified, this one is just ridiculous.
Again. You missed the point.

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Many deep ridiculous complaints here like tiny scratch, dust, and dirty Apple logo lol I’m OCD too but the world is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadworlds

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Any machine built after Mojave was released has it preloaded. You missed the point.

No of course they aren’t going change what was loaded. The point is that 2 months later there is still stock out there with the old build. They are not turning over stock very quickly on the MacBook Pro.

Right
Over
Your
Head

The point was that they still have stock of machines produced that long ago. Apple isn’t turning their inventory at a good pace.

Again. You missed the point.
Straight
past
your
brain

Apple makes a shi-t-load of devices in 1 go, they know pretty well how much devices they sell, and have extra for exchanges.
this is the cheapest way of manufacturing.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
Congrats....you get the choice of staying on High Sierra or upgrading to Mojave. Anyone who got a Vega 20 is forced to use the slower of the two.
[doublepost=1543512153][/doublepost]
**** really? You mean the top of the line model not targeted at the general consumer that costs thousands of dollars was sitting in stock for a couple months? Who woulda thunk it.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

This x3. I went through two rMBAs that came with Mojave installed and not functioning correctly. Bought a tb rMBP with an early October production date and was a little surprised, but very pleased, to see that it had HS installed. That's totally fine with me. Mojave has some great updates...Apple can send me a text when it runs properly.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
I think the OP's point really is just a bit of astonishment at the fact that the inventory of rMBPs isn't turning over very fast (at least at this store). It certainly provides some anecdotal evidence that they're not selling well. For those of us who are ambivalent about Apple's new machines, this is bittersweet -- hopefully Apple will listen and make something better with the next iteration.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
A few years ago I bought a Mac Pro in 2012 from the apple store. It came with Lion which was more than a year old at that point. Macs don't turn over as much as you think especially in store. People opt to order those online.

Reactions: SDColorado

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
I think the OP's point really is just a bit of astonishment at the fact that the inventory of rMBPs isn't turning over very fast (at least at this store). It certainly provides some anecdotal evidence that they're not selling well. For those of us who are ambivalent about Apple's new machines, this is bittersweet -- hopefully Apple will listen and make something better with the next iteration.
Define not selling well? There are MANY different configurations/SKUs for the 15" available. To expect each one to be sold out constantly is just silly.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Thanks. Somehow everyone else turned it into a debate over which OS they like better or think is better.

By that rationale they would argue that each year when new iPhones launch in September that they should come with the last and most stable of the prior iOS and not the .0 release of the new iOS. You know, for stability’s sake. Though oftentimes the new models have hardware features that support new features in the brand new iOS.

Every machine manufactured after the release of Mojave has it preinstalled. They never go back and update produced stock. To point that out is ridiculous. But a bunch of posts did that. They also don’t continue producing machines with the old OS, waiting for the x.1 or x.2 or x.0.1 release to be more stable. I’m sure there are those that feel they should.

I’m running 3 machines not including the new MBP, all different (MBA, iMac, Mini), and all on Mojave. Is system wide Dark Mode a bust, yes for the most part, but that is an aesthetic opinion. Is Mojave stable, seems to be.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Thanks. Somehow everyone else turned it into a debate over which OS they like better or think is better.

By that rationale they would argue that each year when new iPhones launch in September that they should come with the last and most stable of the prior iOS and not the .0 release of the new iOS. You know, for stability’s sake. Though oftentimes the new models have hardware features that support new features in the brand new iOS.

Every machine manufactured after the release of Mojave has it preinstalled. They never go back and update produced stock. To point that out is ridiculous. But a bunch of posts did that. They also don’t continue producing machines with the old OS, waiting for the x.1 or x.2 or x.0.1 release to be more stable. I’m sure there are those that feel they should.

I’m running 3 machines not including the new MBP, all different (MBA, iMac, Mini), and all on Mojave. Is system wide Dark Mode a bust, yes for the most part, but that is an aesthetic opinion. Is Mojave stable, seems to be.
So, you now turn to ranting about the .0 not being good for release ?
Why don't you come down from soaring in dreamland, and read up on how it is done in the real world, and how many beta's preceed the .0
there is none, and never shall be, an operating system, that is without flaws.:cool:

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018

Dell stills sells computers with Windows 7 installed as an "Option".
[doublepost=1543516782][/doublepost]
Many deep ridiculous complaints here like tiny scratch, dust, and dirty Apple logo lol I’m OCD too but the world is not.
Wouldn't be surprised if some return their Macs because the latest OS is not installed.