Sad story =(...any hope for a broken iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrownManUPS, Jun 23, 2008.

1. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I know most people won't care about my sob story but I don't know it makes me feel better to tell people about it who can probably understand my pain.

I bought an iPod touch a few months ago because I couldn't justify paying for an iPhone for the data plan. My dad finally gave me his iPhone because he just didn't like it anymore and didn't like carrying around a blackberry and an iPhone and was used to the blackberry. So I was elated got it immediately activated and was ready to go.

Well 2 weeks later now, I was getting off a train at a London station and this guy in an awful hurry with a big bag pushes me out of the way as I get off the train and I hit the side of the train hard where my iPhone is in my pocket. I panicked and looked at my iPhone to check if it was okay and sure enough, the entire screen is cracked (similar to this, but the cracks radiate from the home button up to near the top of the screen).

It ruined my day. I know it is just an object and dispensible but its no longer that "gorgeous 3.5'' " display you know?

Anyway sob story over...does Apple repair these and if so is there hope for me? And if I wanted to get a new one, could I get a brushed metal 1G or do I have to get a new 3G...the reason I don't want the new one is the rate plan is too much for me.

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

the cost of replacing the front panel will be painful and bit dangerous if you dont know what your doing. On top of that it will void all warranty.

If you want the 1st gen iPhone, you would simply take it to Apple and pay the $250 fee and just get it replaced.

Sorry for your loss :)

3. Love Juice macrumors regular

it's actually down to $199 for an out-of-warranty claim for the 8GB now

4. javadh macrumors member

what an *******, you should have chased him and kicked his ass

5. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

You think it will drop even lower after the iPhone 3G is into the system by August? (I won't get to a US iPhone store until then) And my iPhone is still in its limited warranty.

6. nhw macrumors member

i heard some people even bring the cracked screen to apple care and had it replaced. try ur luck and see what happens. or u can always sell it on ebay/ those broken iphones can sell at a high price....duno why tho

7. panosg77 macrumors newbie

Sad story indeed. I dare not imagine such thing happening on my iPhone. I'd freak out.

I really don't know if you can purchase a new iPhone 1G. I've read somewhere that it's almost out of stock in most places.

As for the screen, it can be replaced (i think) but the cost would be too high.

8. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I think it is because of the fact that it can be unlocked. If I unlocked my iPhone, it would sell for more than the iPhone 3G would. The problem is that I don't want to have to pay for more data plan since I don't even need a amazingly fast internet and am pretty happy with EDGE since it uses less battery and gets me what I need...though I may change my mind later about this.

I will go to the apple store when I get back to the US and report my findings.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

+1

Well if he refused to pay for the damage that is.

10. JZ Wire macrumors regular

JZ Wire

I feel for you. That is a sad story. Busting that guys head open would have made me feel a bit better but thats just me. Anyway, Im sure Apple can fix it for you. Did you buy Apple care for it?