sad to say....docks

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by li2eggie, Aug 4, 2008.

1. li2eggie macrumors newbie

li2eggie

i have two docks the bose and the jbl and none of them charge the iphone...i was looking at the apple site and some docks say they charge the phone but after reading the reviews only some on which they claim to charge the iphone actually charge the iphone....anyone have a good dock that charges the iphone or should i just wait :confused:

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

i have heard that the iH9 by iHome actually charges your iPhone. I have an iH9 (but no iPhone), and it has very good sound for being a clock radio. It also has a full function remote, so you can control everything, not just skipping through songs.

3. li2eggie thread starter macrumors newbie

li2eggie

does anyone have a dock that chargers and knows for sure that it does

4. jwflutterby macrumors regular

I can vouch for this one charging my iPhone 3G...

http://www.amazon.com/Hotsync-Charg...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217885146&sr=8-1

I originally got the Apple 3G iPhone dock but I always have a skin case on my phone and skin case + Apple dock = no fit... The one above comes with different plates for different iPod's but I just didn't use any of them and my iPhone fits with any of my cases.. There is space around it but it isn't wobbly in there or anything... The plus is that it comes with a remote and it seems to work with the 3G iPhone iPod app, the minus is that it comes up with the compatibility error and sometimes tries to start my iPod app when I set my phone in the dock... I just wanted something cheap (I mean you can't beat $15) that I could have on my desk at work that I could set my iPhone in to charge without having to peel my skin case off first and this fits the bill...

5. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I have this dock and it works fine with my 3G. It gives the warning about wanting to put it in airplane mode but it charges fine and playback is fine. Mine is black though which matches my iPhone :D I use it without an adapter with a silicone case.

6. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

Yeah, the dock situation right now is ridiculous.... Apple wants $29 for a piece of plastic, and another $29 for a spare cable and charger so that you can actually use the dock....So $58 for a doc that reviewers say is really tippy. Lame. Not to mention it's white. Belkin and Griffin don't seem to have updated their website to say if they support the 3G iphones yet. Since the firewire charging is gone, a lot of the docks don't work. My wife's ihome doesn't work with it.

7. jerryh macrumors newbie

I thought about buying Apple's dock but it does not worth it. I think I will keep using my cable until something better comes up.

8. li2eggie thread starter macrumors newbie

li2eggie

yeah i agree and as for the people who showed me some docks thanks but im looking for something with speakers like an "ihome" i guess thats what you call it or like a clock radio that you can dock your iphone on...i guess i'll just wait as for the docks i have now i think i might just sell them when something better comes along...thanks

9. Sphyrna macrumors regular

Oh ok, didn't realize you meant speaker dock. My alarm clock has an AUX IN jack so I just use the dock I posted with the iPhone plugged into my alarm clock. And I agree about Apple's dock. I don't see the point in getting it without getting a second charge cable. So together it's just too much. I thought about taking my dock to work but not sure I want to lose having one at home. I might just take the video stand that came with my Incipio case and use that at work with the cable that came with the iPhone.

10. mrtrilby macrumors member

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've had no problems charging with the two I own. One was $20 on sale at a JC Penney Home store. Switches to Airplane Mode, but it charges. Other one is by Homedics. iPod stuff works fine (includes a lot of adapters), but the thing that projects the time on my ceiling keeps getting worse. Shoulda returned it.

12. meglet macrumors member

meglet

iHome makes a product specifically compatible with the iPhone, called the iP99BR.

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.asp?product_id=10246&dept_id=1006

I've seen this available at the Apple Store online, but you might want to double-check with iHome that the iP99BR is compatible with the 3G iPhone as well as the 1st Gen iPhone.

13. dauerhippo macrumors regular

I have the Sony one. It works perfectly. It works with the 1st gen iPhone and the 3G (i use it with the 3G).

It charges, and it doesn't give you any annoying "this accesory was not made.." messages. I got it for 99$ on Apple's website. Shipped the next day.