Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Wow. Count me as someone who really disliked the old MBP design, I didn't at all like the squishy keyboard or the construction that didn't feel solid, or the latch that was a pain and hassle. I think the new MBP is better in every single possible respect.

Good to hear. Did you sell an existing MB/MBP and buy a new one? If so, which model did you part with.

Cheers,

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Good review. Having checked out the new MBP at the Apple Store several times over the past few days, I'm a bit more enthused than the OP. I really like the new unibody case, which I think is several orders of magnitude more durable than the old case. And the new trackpad and keyboard seem fine.

But overall I've decided to wait. I think this is an upgrade that makes more sense for those still using PBs or early-generation MBPs. I have an early 2008 MBP, and I just don't see a serious reason to upgrade now. The next iterations undoubtedly will add better graphics and, with the 17 MBPs all now at HD, it wouldn't surprise me to see a screen resolution bump in future 15 MBPs. Those features would be worth waiting for. We'll see.

But I'm content to sit tight for now.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
But I'm content to sit tight for now.

Yeah... my thoughts align w/ the OPs and something pretty serious in performance would be needed to sway me. I might even skip the first Nehalem revision. Just bought a 7200 rpm 320gb WD drive as my commitment to keeping my early 2k8 MPB for awhile :)

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha everyone,

First, to the OP: it sounds as if your machine may be defective. I echo the earlier comment about the heat issue you're experiencing. From what I've read thus far, your new MBP should be a lot cooler than earlier models, most likely due to the LED backlighting and improved graphics chips (lessening the burden on the CPU which also lessens heat buildup). I've not read anywhere else anything about the screen being blurry - the major complaint about the screen thus far has been the "mirror effect."

I can only speak to what I've read, as I haven't picked up my new MBP yet. I currently have the original 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo model, but will be selling it on Monday for $1000 to a coworker. That way, I'm upgrading to a new 2.4GHz MBP for only $1000! I also would like to have seen a resolution upgrade to at least 1680x1050 - that way, I could maybe sell my 20" iMac (2.0GHz Core Duo model) and only go with the new MBP. Either way, I'm going to experience a rather nice change in mobile computing :D

As a matter of fact, that is my ONLY real complaint - the resolution. I use a POC Dell Dimension D810 at work that also has a 15" screen. The Dell, however, achieves a resolution of 1920x1200 whereas my superior MBP can only achieve 1440x900?????? I'm making the assumption, perhaps incorrectly, that there's a technical reason for the poor resolution offered by Apple in all their screens, but would like some sort of an explanation. Does anyone know why Apple is skimping on the resolution?

HawaiiMacAddict

Urenstaat

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Regardless of anything. It's wiser to wait for a rev B. model. I never buy the latest model. I just bought the 15-inch MacBook Pro previous model, for a really great discount. You're better off buying a new 15-inch in a year or so, maybe when USB 3.0 is implemented and the machine has Blu-ray. You have to ask yourself: is it really worth buying the latest model for 1999 when you can buy the 'almost as fast' model for 1300? The only thing I really liked about the new model is the rigid unibody construction. yes, it feels incredible durable... but my work won't suffer using the slower model.

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I'm sitting here on a 2.4 Memron (right?) macbook pro.

I REALLY want to upgrade just because i'm a gadget dork, but I know it's not wise.

Honestly I really really want the touchpad. Using an iphone makes me want the multitouch on my mac.

Maybe i'll wait for the speed bump or new processors to justify this upgrade.

kallemia

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
Not in agreement SilentCRs

Wow. Count me as someone who really disliked the old MBP design, I didn't at all like the squishy keyboard or the construction that didn't feel solid, or the latch that was a pain and hassle. I think the new MBP is better in every single possible respect.

This is my opinion after having spent about two hours with the new laptops at the local Apple Store.

I currently have a PowerBook G4 1.5 AluBook... 4.5 yrs old. I was ready for a new computer last year, but waited. Why? Because I didn't want to experience the same thing I have been experiencing with my PB. Squishy, mushy keys that feel like cheap plastic; gaps all over the place, that after time, and after apple care is over just look ugly and unprofessional. Performance-wise, well, I guess it's no surprise that I would be looking for a new laptop. 4.5 years is a good amount of time. But the last year, my 80gb hd has been a mess to keep at a decent fill rate - moving, deleting etc to external HD. I'd replace it if it were as easy as the Macbooks are. Oh and the logic board has been replaced twice. A few months ago, the lower memory bank stopped working - the memory is ok, but the memory board lower tray is shot... not worth investing any more in this old, obsolete design. Certainly not in a new machine. I want new design, well thought out. Ports on one side, easily replaced HD, solid feel, better keyboard and better performance.

I fully expect the new MBP to satisfy me. If something a lot better (Nehalem, etc) comes next year, fine. I definitely don't want to be on that revision A. I think Apple has done a good job this time round, unifying the product line. Are there gaps? Sure. But this machine screams in comparison to my PB - so does the MB... but I want the better screen.

So, I guess it's all a matter of how long you wait til you upgrade. I waited probably a little too long, but it was worth it. OP didn't wait long enough, and it wasn't.

Cheers,
karl maria

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Although a lot of things that many hardcore users want such as high res and a matte screen were not implemented, the improved quality of the chassis and overall built quality of the MB/MBP is a step to the right direction. Its great that the current Apple portable line now rivals the Thinkpad in its solid feeling of sturdiness.

I'm pretty sure by next rev they will hit a home run.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I'm surprised that the new MBP gets even warmer than the old one. I really hoped it got better with the newer CPU but it seems it didn't due to design decisions.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Just my opinion... Remember the MacBook/MacBookPro's are computers,
not a fashion accessories. You don't have to upgrade every single time a new one appears... it's a waste of money. Though if your loaded, have more money than braincells, who is to stop you?

Well, I think it's wiser bBefore you consider selling your machine, to visit a n AppleStore and take the new beast for a spin. Maybe once your sure you can consider selling your Penryn after? I hate to think you'll have regrets after... know what i mean?
I agree. While the new MB(P)s look hot to me online, I personally wouldn't order online before taking one for a test drive. I'm on vacation now somewhere these babies are not accessible, so it's a forced "cooling off" period :D

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I'm surprised that the new MBP gets even warmer than the old one. I really hoped it got better with the newer CPU but it seems it didn't due to design decisions.

This is the first post I have seen where it got warmer. That is why other posters (and myself) think he may have gotten a defective unit. Please don't scream Apple fan boy because I am saying "Oh it doesn't work well? You must have a defective unit!". I only feel this way because the problems the OP is experiencing have not occurred for multiple other users with the same model.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I went last night to the Apple store with intentions on buying a new 15" MBP. let's just say I left the store 15 minutes with nothing more than what I came in.

I looked and played with the new model but it didn't do anything for me. literally nothing for me. this makes me like my current MBP all that much more.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California

i have the early 2008 model, and i don't agree with you regarding the construction that didn't feel solid" where did you get that idea?? oh wait, the keynote speech from the designers

Seriously, before they ( APPLE) introduced this "IDEA" that the previous gen were not "solidly Built" no one thinks so... i'ts called marketing dude.. so that you'll go out and buy the NEW one and think less of the previous gen.

comparing an MBP that was built 3 yrs ago and a PC laptop ( plasticY) i'd still go for the Macbook PRO.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
i have the early 2008 model, and i don't agree with you regarding the construction that didn't feel solid" where did you get that idea?? oh wait, the keynote speech from the designers

Seriously, before they ( APPLE) introduced this "IDEA" that the previous gen were not "solidly Built" no one thinks so... i'ts called marketing dude.. so that you'll go out and buy the NEW one and think less of the previous gen.

comparing an MBP that was built 3 yrs ago and a PC laptop ( plasticY) i'd still go for the Macbook PRO.

The new macbook/pro's are clearly much sturdier and solid than their previous versions, it's very evident when you see and touch them in person. Many people have had issues with the previous macbooks and macbook pro's such as the lid not sitting flush, the body flexing, palm rest chips and cracks etc.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. Although I think that the old MBP was better in some ways, construction isn't one of those ways. Search MBP case warp and you will see what I mean. The bottom casing on my MBP has warped so much it has rendered my Superdrive useless, and Apple decided it was my fault and wants to charge me $900 for it. I refuse to do so and I am planning on making appointments at the genius bar until they finally give in, because it is simply not my fault. I could probably sell the machine and buy a new one for the selling price+900. They gave me the number for an authorized service place that could probably fix it for half, but still $450 is $450 more than I should be spending.

JohnnyGTO

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
I have in front of me a PowerBook, one of the first MBP (Core Duo) and a new MBP. Over my right shoulder is a table lamp at 4' and above and behind me is a ceiling fan with 4 100 watt bulbs. Now I agree there is a glare issue with the new MBP when the screen is dimmed or off but once on there is no problem, it's as easy to use as the two older models.

I currently have a Wacom tablet in one USB port, a WD passport drive in the other and two FW 400 drives connected to the port.

It might not be super fast compared to the newest older MBP but it rips my two earlier laptops to shreds.

Any ways I'm happy :)

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

I have to disagree. I've had almost every model. The new old is much more solid than the previous versions. I've had lots of units that had individual squeaks and flexes (like by the left speaker area on a 17"). This new one is rock solid. You can argue whether the old ones were "solid" or not. But it would be harder to objectively argue that the new design isn't more solid if you've tried it for a day (versus 5 minutes in a store).

JohnnyGTO

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
I have to disagree. I've had almost every model. The new old is much more solid than the previous versions. I've had lots of units that had individual squeaks and flexes (like by the left speaker area on a 17"). This new one is rock solid. You can argue whether the old ones were "solid" or not. But it would be harder to objectively argue that the new design isn't more solid if you've tried it for a day (versus 5 minutes in a store).

I agree when I give the older models a little twist they actually do where as the new model is very solid. The only "weak" part may be the battery cover it feels a bit too light.

SilentCrs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
FYI.. in regards to the heat, I was testing plugged in, with the 9600 on. By default it is off. If people are saying that the heat is reasonable using the integrated graphics, that's fine, but if I pay $2K+ for a laptop I expect to use all of it's performance.

jakeDude

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2005
There is not much difference between Penryn and the new.. But I have the original 2.16 Core Duo MBP and there are some advantages or points to consider to upgrading to the new model:

- true 64-bit. There is a different 64-bit objective-C runtime for 64-bit and C2D processors have more registers and memory increase to 6 GB reliably in these MBP (must use a 4GB stick and a 2 GB dimm).

- Java 1.6 from ADC is only supported on 64-bit intels.

- Doom 3 and Quake and Call of Duty 2 and 4.. These games will eat up the Nvidia 9600 and will be a huge difference compared to a x1600. So, finally can turn on pretty much all the effects finally.

- Can run folding at home GPU much better on a 120 GFLOP GPU
- Nvidia 9600 supports higher version of DirectX (if in Windows) and has more shader power for Open GL.

- The benchmarks indicate that NVidia's chipset is not as efficient as Intel's centrino chipset which is why the FSB advanatage is not as prominent.

- Anybody still running a G4 class laptop is just being petty and cheap and ignorant. The machines have been upgraded FAR beyond those 133 MHZ FSB days.

- The non LED display is starting to not work as well now in the orig MBP. Its starting to lose its brightnbess and taking longer to warm up.

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
I thought the new MBP was a failure because of the glossy only display
and the removal of FW400. But there is much more. How would you operate
a mouse when your USB port is on the left and you are not a lefty?
Wacom tablet also has a wire on the right side...
I also noticed that the battery door is really easy to open. In the store today
two people were struggling to close it on the demo models.
They are really hot, something I completely forgot since my MBP 2.4
is always cool. Did I mention the screen is awful?
I got my 2nd "old" MBP, the two should keep me running for next 3 years,
maybe by then Apple will wake up...

MrJingles

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
Well Steve is a Genius I'll give him that

So there you have it. Less discerning, broader customer base (from a technical standpoint) and the desire to make big money producing systems with few options and you have the new MB/MBP line. Buy one today. :rolleyes:

It took a few days but I'm off my 'curse you glossy screen' horse and came to the same realization. Apple needed the hardcore Mac users so they gave us more 'pro friendly' devices but now that they are shifting to more 'consumer grade' customers and the writing has been on the wall for quite some time.

1. Changed their name to "Apple" and dropped "Computer"
2. Started having iPhone events that stirred up 500% more consumer interest than the next Mac X computer.
3. Redesigned the iMac to reflect the shiny glass/alum look to make iPhone consumers think "Dang that goes perfect with my new phone I want one!"
4. Redesign both the Macbook and new Macbook XL (I won't call it Pro anymore so there) so the consumer who bought the shiny iPhone and the shiny iMac to hook it up to say "Dang, that would go PERFECT with my shiny glass/alum iphone and iMac when I am on the go!"

I'm sure it goes perfect with their matching silver BMW C series and matching black turtlenecks on the way to the nearest Starbucks.

Apple has actually created it's own sub-culture, it is fascinating in a way really because they have managed to say alive for over 20 years with barely any market share and now they are transforming a new generation of consumers to match the vision they have set forth since the days of the first iPod and people are just gobbling it up.

Steve Jobs knows what he is doing, even if he is slower than molasses in getting it done, and this current trend if following suit. I mean congrats to Steve, unfortunately I don't agree with some of these choices (As I'm sure a lot of you know) I just hope there is room for us die-hard users who fell in love playing Oregon Trail on an Apple IIe in his long term vision.

Peace out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.