Safari 11.0 (Sierra) no reaction on url input in address bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac2013orlater, Sep 23, 2017.

  1. Mac2013orlater macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2014
    #1
    Finally it was possible to conduct upgrade to macOS Sierra .12.6 from version minus three, painful journey.

    Safari works worser than before Sierra: Not possible to open web page upon entering url into address & search bar (actually it is possible for short time after os reboot, short web surfing session then it turns to problems). Safari under administrator account is not affected. Problem sounds like this: user enters full url or simplified address into address & search bar. Safari's only reaction is the put address text gets centred in address & search bar, that's all. Web page does not open, nor Safari gives any signs it was doing anything to load the page. One can resolve by pushing the reload symbol, address & search bar right side.
    Long time I didn't not got even this reload/stop loading symbols in address & search bar.

    I have tested with all extensions removed - no help, therefore those are back now.
    I have tested also practically all combinations of settings in search preferences - no help.
    Safari restart does not help.
    What also help's is to drag url from address & search bar to desktop, close then open Safari, drag icon from desktop back to address & search bar.

    Any idea how to resolve it?

    Browsing history I have generated with Safari since twenty fourteen while working yet under os x 10.9 is also gone with upgrade to Sierra - that history was for my work worth of gold enabling high level of productivity.
    Have backup of history files (~/Library/Safari) - amongst others History.plist - whose size is appx 22MB however to restore from these backups does not help too.

    Any idea how to resolve this too?
     
  2. organicCPU macrumors 6502a

    organicCPU

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2016
    #2
    At leat in Sierra the History.db is SQLite format, not Plist. Is it really History.plist in Mavericks?

    Provided it's History.db, with e.g. http://sqlitebrowser.org you could read the records of 'history_items' table and export it as CSV to get your valuable info back.

    I guess it's a little tricky to migrate the old history into the new one as there would be more tables and records to edit. Be careful and make a backup (at least of files you edit) first.
     
  3. Mac2013orlater thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2014
    #3
    Thank you for your highly valuable hint.
     
  4. Mac2013orlater thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2014
    #4
    Your hint puts me to conclusion perhaps same or similar reason in case of former problem - data format incompatibility or data corruption due to such incompatibility. Reg. first problem Google and Safari suggestions are enabled. Loading page works also if to select one of suggestions marked with loupe symbol.

    Which Safari user data might also had changed on the distance Mavericks to Sierra?
     
  5. Mac2013orlater thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2014
    #5
  6. organicCPU macrumors 6502a

    organicCPU

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2016
    #6
    Good to hear that your history returned. Did Safari 11 migrate your History.plist automagically to the newer History.db or is Safari 11 using your History.plist side-by-side with History.db?

    Concerning your other problems with Safari, I think it must be some account specific file that is damaged or outdated, because you wrote that within your admin account everything is working as expected.

    At the account that makes problems, I'd try to move those files and folders to somewhere else while Safari is closed. That will remove the history again. So be careful (having a complete backup is always a good idea).
    Code:
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Support.plist
    ~/Library/Safari/
    ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState/
    You could go deeper and delete some more files listed here:
    https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/164645

    Then there is Onyx (free) that can also clean and delete several internet related files and settings for you:
    https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
     
  7. Mac2013orlater thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2014
    #7
    Before it got fixed on itself I tried little troubleshooting, gathering little orientation in situation by comparing files on Sierra startup disk and Mavericks backup. Actually no achievements as my knowledge in this matter low and really restricted time resources. Me believes in scope of that troubleshooting I copied history files from backup to Sierra disk. That's all reg. my active handling, rest was plain but small analysis.
    Then it got fixed. As of this minute former problem disappeared in same magic way as history issues.

    I get the impression some Apple stock apps carry out data migration from format of previous version to new in background after the o.s. upgrade completed. Good for me - less efforts. Similar probs with Mail app - not all e-mail accounts have been taken over from Mavericks properly or taken at all. But for this I start special thread if any.
     

Share This Page

6 September 23, 2017