Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
Good morning I seem to have lost the private tab in Safari, don't know if it was right after up date or not, but it is gone. any ideas on getting back.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Private tabs aren't remembered. If you closed it accidentally or if it was closed after an update/reboot, it's gone for good.

It'd defeat the purpose of private browsing if it was possible to bring it back...

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
No I mean private tabs in general, used to be able to click on icon on top left and private tab was an option, it is no longer there, now I have to use the duck duck go browser and burn everything after visit.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
used to be able to click on icon on top left and private tab was an option
I don't recall ever being able to do it this way on a Mac. (This is how it works on the iPad though.)

On a Mac, private browsing is done by going to File -> New Private Window.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
I don't recall ever being able to do it this way on a Mac. (This is how it works on the iPad though.)

On a Mac, private browsing is done by going to File -> New Private Window.
you could click on the little down arrow to right of file and open private tab, as well as yes the file tab, private tab is in neither, I used private tabs a lot, couple of times day
until they vanished., Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 5.18.18 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.