Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doowrehs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Hi there,

Is anyone else experiencing strange things with the rendering of scroll bars in Safari 2.0? By this, I mean that the scroll bars don't seem to properly update in terms of relative length from page to page, and remnants of the "previous" bar remain visible. I used to get it occassionally in 1.x, but it seems more common in 2.0.

It doesn't occur on most sites I visit, but it does occur consistently on those sites affected. For an example of what I mean, visit the site linked below and surf around a few of the forums/threads for a few minutes and you should see this behaviour.

http://www.okayplayer.com/boards.htm

Can't for the life of me figure out why it seems to only affect certain sites. Is it something to do with their coding?

BTW - have repaired permissions, emptied Safari's cache, run Macjanitor, etc. with no difference.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 124

Starfury

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
South-East UK
Yes, I've had the same problem. (Am running a fresh (erase and) install of Tiger on a 1ghz Powerbook G4 12").

I was going to put up with the brushed metal and go back to Safari in Tiger, especially as we were promised performance increases, however that seems not to be the case. Although RSS and Private Browsing aren't bad features, I'm staying with Firefox for now...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I just wanted to vote in that I went to the posted site, and I could not get Safari to replicate this behavior. One difference I noticed is that I set the scrollbar arrows preference away from the standard (both at one end of scrollbar) to the more common setup (arrows at opposite ends of scrollbars) in the SysPrefs appearance pane. Think that this setting and the issue are in any way related? :eek:

doowrehs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Thanks for the replies everyone - glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

@ mkrishnan - I changed my scroll arrow settings to match yours, but still got the same thing (see attached pic). Consequently, I'm going to report this to both Apple and any websites I come across that cause this behaviour.

Still curious to know what exactly is causing the problem in the site's coding...

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 76

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I only got it when i went on the news site and that was only briefly. I don't think it's bad coding on the websites part but more of a bug in Safari. Coders don't determine scrolling issues. Scrolling is rendered by the web browser.

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
Do those sites do that custom scrollbar things in IE? What about your video cards? Core image compatible?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm getting that weird rendering problem a little bit too on my iBook.

DrNeroCF said:
What about your video cards? Core image compatible?

I'm not sure if it's core image related but I'll check for you when I get my new iMac. :D

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
DrNeroCF said:
Do those sites do that custom scrollbar things in IE? What about your video cards? Core image compatible?

If scrollbars in Tiger are reliant on a new GPU intensive feature, then I'll eat my hat. :)

(Note: I don't own a single hat, but want to sound as certain as possible.)

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
Starfury said:
I was going to put up with the brushed metal and go back to Safari in Tiger, especially as we were promised performance increases, however that seems not to be the case. Although RSS and Private Browsing aren't bad features, I'm staying with Firefox for now...

OT: If you really hate so much the brushed metal, here is a link that tells you how to make it "plastic" - like:

link

Apart from this, I've had the weird scroll bar only once.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Starfury said:

The new Shiira 1.0 looks pretty good. I've been playing around with it and sorta like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.